Thursday, February 9, 2017

Rigatoni with Green Monster Pesto and Kale Chips

There are quite a few feuds going on in this country today, wouldn't you agree? Donald Trump vs. The United States of America, Trump Supporters vs. Non-Trump Supporters, races are being pitted against each other, genders are being pitted against each other and what may be the most horrifying feud of them all: those who love kale and those who despise it. Now, before I'm chastised for comparing the sad state of affairs in our country with a green leafy vegetable, this is all in good fun. I don't want to get political and I don't want to fight with people over the Internet because it's petty and boring so take my comparison as a joke and laugh it off. Sheesh, now that that's out of the way, back to the kale.


Kale is a polarizing topic. I don't think anyone is lukewarm about this vegetable. Either you love it and I mean REALLY, REALLY love it or it makes you want to gag. I admit I'm in the latter category. I can't look at kale without being instantly taken back to my childhood when Pizza Hut restaurants were actual restaurants and had a buffet with a salad bar. Guess what was used as a decoration on the salad bar? That's right KALE. In 1995 people weren't even eating it! They were using it as a garnish! How crazy is that? Well, Mr. Kale, look how far you've come in a dozen years.


So why this diatribe about kale? Last night I made my first recipe from Daphne Oz' The Happy Cook  which hit the shelves on September 20 2016 (Harper Collins Publishing). And you know what this book is full of? You guessed it. Lots and lots of this green stuff. I received the Daphne Oz cookbook from my lovely sorority sister for my birthday and I will admit that neither of us have heard of Daphne Oz. Who is she? After some research, aka I did a Google search and spent 2 seconds reading her Wikipedia page, I learned she is the daughter of television personality Dr. Oz (I totally thought she was his wife); she is a co-host on ABC's The Chew; and she's written a few other critically acclaimed cookbooks. So there you have it, this woman wrote a cookbook and my sorority sister decided to buy it and I decided to use it.


So given my distain for this super food, I was pretty skeptical about something called "Green Monster Pesto and Kale Chips" but I'm glad I gave it a try because this recipe may have made me a kale fan.


Rigatoni with Green Monster Pesto and Kale Chips


2 bunches Tuscan Kale, washed, dried and ribs removed (I bought the bagged chopped kale at Aldi because I'm cheap)
1/2 C, plus 3 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 lb rigatoni pasta
1 C fresh basil leaves (TOTALLY FORGOT TO BUY THESE)
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 C Finely grated Pecorino-Romano Cheese (I had parmesan on hand so I used that instead. Sorry Daph.)
1/2 C chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 350 and arrange oven racks to top and bottom thirds of the oven.


Wash and dry your kale and remove the ribs. Or, if you were smart like me, open your bag of kale that's already good to go. Look! I just saved you a step! In a large bowl, toss about half the kale with 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil 1 Tsp salt and some freshly cracked black pepper.


Line two baking sheets with foil and arrange the kale so it's in an even layer and not overlapping. Bake for 10-12 minutes, removing the pans every 5 minutes to shake the kale and switch racks. Allow the kale to cool on the racks.


Maybe it was the fact I was starving or it was really that good but I ate a whole tray of these kale chips by myself. Sorry not sorry. They were delicious! They were crunchy, crispy, salty and fantastic. Score one for Daphne Oz.


Boil your pasta for 1 minute less than instructed by the packaging.


In a large sauté pan, heat 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and sauté garlic and the remaining kale until the kale is wilted and the garlic is fragrant.


In a food processor, process basil (which I didn't do because I forgot to buy basil) with salt, pepper and cheese until combined. Once it's pretty well combined add in your sautéed kale and garlic and walnuts pulsing while slowly pouring in the 1/2 C olive oil. Pulse until your mixture looks like pesto. Add in 1 C of pasta water to loosen the mixture up if necessary (this was a very helpful hint, thank you Daphne.)


Mix the pasta and pesto together and top with any kale chips you haven't already eaten and extra cheese.


The pesto (despite the lack of basil) was delightful! The kale gave the pesto a beautiful and vibrant green color and had almost a bitter flavoring that pared well with the salty parmesan and sharp garlic and can we talk about the kale chips? I mean come on! Who knew kale could ever be appetizing?!


I will say I was skeptical of this writer whom I'd never heard of but I enjoyed this recipe and I like her book. The recipes are simple and hearty and sound delicious. I am definitely looking forward to making more of her recipes.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, sharp, funny, and informative. I might even try Kale

    ReplyDelete