Saturday, July 18, 2020

Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches

Happy Saturday, readers! I don't know about you, but this week has been difficult for me. I was unfortunately let go from my job at the Brewery due to a backtrack in COVID-19 health orders. I don't want to make a thing about it but I will say, before you call out restaurants for wanting to stay open during this time, think of the people like me who now lost their jobs. Additionally, I am still waiting for the governor to give my gym the go-ahead to allow for group fitness classes to start. So, it's been a week to say the least.

I've been distracting myself with daily workouts, preparing for when I can teach group fitness and cooking, of course! So enough of my pity party, I'll get on with the recipe! About a month ago I won an Instagram contest from Lightlife, one of my favorite plant-based food companies! I was lucky enough to be shipped 6 packages of their products which included sausage links, sausage patties, burgers, ground protein, bratwurst and Italian sausages. So far everything has been incredible! 

Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches

Lightlife Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwich
4 Tbsp Butter, divided
1/2 Onion, sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced and divided
1 C Water
1 C Vegetable Broth
1 C Pale Ale Beer (I used the Oskar Blues Dale Pale Ale)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
4 Italian Sausages (I used Lightlife, obviously)
1 C Italian Parsley, chopped
4 Hoagie Rolls
4 Slices Cheddar Cheese, halved

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a deep skillet over medium-low heat and saute onion until softened. Add pepper and 2 cloves of garlic to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a pot over medium heat, bring water, vegetable broth and beer to a boil. Season the broth with salt and pepper. Add sausages to the pot and boil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the sausages from the liquid and move to the skillet with the vegetables making sure the sausages make direct contact with the pan. Increase the heat to medium. Fry the sausages for 3-5 minutes per side for color, for a total of 15 minutes.

Lightlife Italian Sausages frying with onion and red bell pepper in boiling liquid
Remove the pot with the boiling liquid from heat and ladle 1/2 C at a time of the liquid on the veggies in the skillet every 5 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and toast the hoagie rolls for 2 minutes.

In a small bowl, melt remaining 2 Tbsp of butter and stir in parsley and garlic. Set aside.

After the rolls are toasted and the sausage and veggies are cooked, divide evenly between the 4 rolls. Divide remaining boiling liquid among the rolls. Top the veggies and sausage with prepared parsley and garlic butter and layer on 1 slice of cheese per sandwich.

Bake the sandwiches for 15 minutes.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

These sandwiches were hearty, the sausages were meaty and the boiling liquid was so full of flavor I could die! I was definitely not left wanting after eating this incredible meal and it will definitely be put into my regular dinner rotation from now on! A big thank you to Lightlife for gifting me so many delicious goodies!

Thank you for stopping by my little blog and stay tuned for more great recipes!

1 comment: