Sunday, May 3, 2015

What Goes Better with Cupcakes Than Booze?

Baking has become my passion lately, it's so weird but it's like I want to bake cupcakes all the time now. Today's occasion is tomorrow is Nate's last day of his undergraduate college career (cue the "awes"). 

He has to present his senior design project to his professors, a project I may add that he's been working on for the better part of a semester. So to celebrate this momentous occasion, I made him (and his fellow seniors) Irish Car Bomb cupcakes! I chose to make these partly because we had a single bottle of Guinness in the fridge and also because after this semester these hardworking seniors need hard liquor. 

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes 

1 C unsalted butter 
1 C Guinness beer (I used the Extra Stout) 
2/3 C cocoa powder, sifted 
1 C brown sugar 
1 tbsp salt 
2 C cake flour
1 C sugar 
1 1/4 tbsp baking soda 
2 eggs 
1/16 C water 
1/16 C Bailey's Irish Cream 
1/16 C heavy whipping cream 
1/16 C milk 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and combine with Guinness, cocoa powder and brown sugar whisking frequently. Remove from heat to cool to room temperature after combined. 

In a separate bowl, sift flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and combine. After the Guinness mixture is cooled, add in and beat with electric beater for 1 minute. Add in 2 eggs, water, Bailey's, heavy whipping cream and water. Beat additional 2 minutes. 

Divide batter into lined cupcake pans, fill liners about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20 minutes adding more time as needed until a toothpick can be removed cleanly. 

Let cool on wire rack completely before icing. 



I was going to make Bailey's Irish Cream buttercream to compliment these boozy concoctions, but I thought that might be frowned upon on a closed alcohol campus, so instead I'm making my tried and true vanilla buttercream (see my "Baking (Again)" blog for recipe). 


I bought myself some reusable pastry bags and tips to be fancy so I'm having fun trying them out. 

Hope you missed me during my hiatus, readers and I hope you are enjoying your end of school/start of summer, or if you're a working stiff like me, just being hot and sweaty. 

1 comment: