Monday, July 27, 2015

I Want All The Chile

Well readers, we're quickly approaching our moving date. I will be moving to a place where "Christmas" is merely a holiday and not a delicious combination of red and green chiles; where breakfast will not be some mixture of cheese, tortillas, chile and potatoes; and where the spiciest thing I'll be able to get is a pickled jalapeƱo. 

So for nostalgia purpose, Nate and I went to a New Mexican breakfast institution: Weck's. 

Weck's has 10 locations in the greater Albuquerque area and each location has a different theme. Yesterday we visited the location at 933 San Mateo Blvd NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108. This location is decorated like a 50s diner - pictures of The King and Marilyn Monroe cover the walls. 

Decor: good, while pictures of old Hollywood stars and Elvis cover the walls of this location, you can also find paper plates tacked up there. The addition of cheap decorations makes the decor a little tacky. 
Cleanliness: excellent. The tables were turned over quickly and the bathrooms were clean. 
Food taste: excellent! In addition to New Mexican favorites, Weck's also offers American breakfasts and everything is gut-busting portions. Believe me you will not leave hungry. I ordered their Bowl O' Papas which is exactly what it sounds like: a bowl of perfectly crisp yet tender hash browns smothered with cheese, Christmas chile and topped with an over-medium egg. Their green chile is flavorful and their red is smoky. Perfect compliments to the egg and potatoes. 
Food appearance: good, I've noticed that New Mexican food tends to just look like slop on a plate, very delicious slop but slop none the less. 

Service: excellent, the staff at Weck's is friendly, attentive and definitely there to serve your needs. Our waiter checked on us often and made sure we had everything we could need. 

Total: 13/15

I've been coming to Weck's since I was about 10 or 11 years old and will definitely be a restaurant I will miss when I can no longer go so it was definitely on my New Mexico restaurant bucket list. If you want huge portions at a great place, check out this New Mexican landmark and bring your appetite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment