Saturday, February 11, 2017

Chilaquiles

Good morning readers and happy Saturday! I don't know how the weather is where you live but today in Raleigh is a warm and sunny 70 degrees! A perfect day to get outside and enjoy the sunshine!

I woke up this morning bright eyed and bushy tailed despite getting over a head cold and was bitten by the cooking bug. It was 8:05 and I wanted nothing more than to be in the kitchen (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere), so I quietly slipped out of bed while Nate lay a-snooze and wandered into my kitchen. I looked around my pantry and fridge until I found my inspiration: corn tortillas.

These poor beasts have been sitting on top of my microwave for weeks just collecting dust and hoping to be selected for a recipe, well not really. Food with dust is not appetizing but I digress, after weeks in food purgatory these tortillas were finally chosen! (In a generic announcer voice) CORN TORTILLAS COME ON DOWN, YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ON THE RECIPE IS RIGHT! Lucky them. So I had my inspiration but what was I going to use them for? Corn tortillas aren't ideal for breakfast burritos, I didn't have enough of them or cheese to make enchiladas so I settled on chilaquiles.

Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish which use corn tortillas cut into quarters and fried as a base for an array of yummy toppings. BINGO!

Chilaquiles


4 corn tortillas, quartered
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
3 eggs, fried
1 avocado, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 C cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 Tsp garlic salt
1/2 Tsp onion powder
1 Tsp chile powder
Dash of Tabasco, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange tortilla quarters in a single layer. Using a brush, lightly coat the tortillas with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp. Allow to cool before portioning onto plates.

After the chips are portioned, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and microwave to melt the cheese.

Meanwhile, prepare your guacamole. As an aside, I adore avocado. I even have a song I sing every time I use it. Really, even ask Nate. The "Avocado Song" is sung every time. EDUCATE YOURSELF by clicking this. I promise it's not a virus or something unsavory.

Ok back to the guac: dice your tomato and reserve about 3 Tbsp worth for a topping. Add your un-reserved tomato to a bowl with chopped cilantro (again, reserving a little bit for garnish), finely diced bell pepper, slightly mashed and diced avocado and season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder and chile powder. Stir to combine.

After your chips are cheesy and your guacamole is assembled it's time to fry your egg. Now the length of time you fry your egg is totally personal preference. For instance, Nate really likes runny yolks, I on the other hand do not. I will assume you all know how you enjoy your eggs and how to cook them accordingly.

Top your chips with the egg, a couple heaping tablespoons of guac, some fresh diced tomato and chopped cilantro and a dash of Tabasco if you so choose; and there you have it! A delicious take on chilequiles! Enjoy your Saturday, readers! Check in tomorrow to see how I do making my first roast!

No comments:

Post a Comment