Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Salmon en Croute

Hey readers, welcome to the home stretch of this blog post marathon! Congratulations, you did it! Basically you and I both deserve a medal, or at least a cocktail. Saturday night I was bitten by the inspiration bug and decided I wanted; no I NEEDED to make use of the leftover phyllo dough taking up space in my freezer from the last time I made Spanakopita and decided Salmon en Croute was the perfect way to do it!


Salmon en Croute


Tell me that doesn't look delicious


2 3-oz salmon fillets
6 sheets thawed phyllo dough, cut in half length-wise
4 Tbsp Spinach Pesto (recipe to follow)
Salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 Tbsp melted butter


Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.


Dry both salmon fillets with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper.


Layer 2 of the cut phyllo dough pieces on top of each other and brush the outer edges with melted butter. Place one of the seasoned fillets in the center of the layered dough and top with 2 heaping  tablespoons of Spinach pesto and spread evenly.


Fold the phyllo dough around the fillet and brush with butter. Flip the dough-package onto another cut piece of phyllo dough and brush top with more melted butter. Fold the phyllo dough around the dough-package and brush with even more butter. This recipe is absolutely not for someone watching their cholesterol. Place the 3-layered fish packet on the prepared baking sheet.


Repeat with remaining fillet.


Bake your wrapped fillets for 22 minutes. And allow to cool for at least 3 minutes before serving. The pesto will be extremely hot.


Inside the flaky and buttery pastry is flavorful pesto and expertly cooked fish. My salmon was a delicious shade of pink and perfectly tender and moist. Plus who doesn't like something flaky and buttery?


I enjoyed my fish with some packaged quinoa mix from Aldi.


This recipe really couldn't be simpler, and now I have another fun dish in my repertoire to prepare whenever I have an excess of phyllo dough.


Spinach Pesto


4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
4 C fresh spinach
3 whole garlic cloves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 C pecans
1/2 C shredded parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp lemon juice


Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet and wilt spinach.


In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together wilted spinach, garlic, salt and pepper, pecans, cheese and lemon juice while slowly drizzling in the remaining 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Scrape the bowl as needed.


Pulse until the mixture looks...like pesto. I prefer my pesto to be on the thicker side rather than the oily side but you do you, boo boo. Taste check and use on whatever you fancy!


Store in a jar in the fridge for up to a month, adding more oil and stirring as necessary.


Hope you enjoyed these recipes, readers! Stay tuned for my Elf Watch Party post coming up on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment