Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Pumpkin Bread

Ah readers, it finally feels like fall in the City of Oaks! It's raining, it's chilly and its Halloween week! 

To celebrate my favorite holiday/season, I decided to bake pumpkin bread (originally intended to be bars). 

Allow me to begin by saying, Pinterest Fails is definitely a thing. I don't know if people just slap things on Pinterest thinking "I don't need to recipe test, someone will try this recipe and do it for me!" or what is going on there but the recipe I used was for "Pumpkin Bars" and not "Pumpkin Bread" but it was definitely a bread. A very tasty and comforting bread, but bread none-the-less. 

The interesting thing about this cake is that there is no butter, no oil and no egg yolks. These things are all replaced by pumpkin purée and Greek yogurt. 

Pumpkin Bread 


1 15 oz can pumpkin purée 
2/3 C low-fat Greek vanilla yogurt 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
4 egg whites 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 C white sugar 
3 tsp baking powder 
2 C flour 
1/2 tsp salt 
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
Cooking spray 

Optional: 

1 C chocolate chips 
1/2 C sliced almonds 
1 C quick oats 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your favorite cake pan or brownie dish with cooking spray. 

Mix pumpkin, egg whites, yogurt, vanilla and sugar until well combined. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice until it looks like a pancake batter. 

Now comes the optional ingredients. At this point I added in the 1/2 C sliced almonds and poured into my cake pan, where I then mixed the chocolate chips into half and the oats into the opposite half. 

Bake for 30 minutes or until you can do the toothpick trick. 

The bread was so moist and delicious! I brought a couple pieces to work to share and everyone loved it! I hope you enjoy it just as much as I, Nate and my coworkers did! 

1 comment: