Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Black Bean Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries

There are two culinary authorities I look up to: Julia Child and Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman. 

As of Christmas, I now own all of the publications (cookbooks and non-fiction) that Ree Drummond has released; the most recent being The Pioneer Woman Cooks Dinnertime. This cookbook is filled with dinner recipes, everything from soup and breakfast-for-dinner to freezer meals and even 16-minute meals! Seriously, who doesn't have 16 minutes to make dinner? It takes longer to order a pizza for delivery. 

It's day 2 of sticking to my New Year's Resolution, that's probably some sort of record. I should probably consult the Guinness people on this because I think I'm entitled to a full-page article for my great accomplishment. Anywho, for tonight's home cooked meal I looked for inspiration in my new (and quickly becoming my favorite) cookbook: The Pioneer Woman Cooks Dinnertime by Ree Drummond published 2015. 


Black Bean Burgers

2 cans seasoned black beans, drained 
1 C Italian bread crumbs
1/4 C grated onion 
1 egg
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1/2 tsp chili powder 
A few dashes of hot sauce, I used Frank's Red Hot sauce 
2 Tbsp butter 
2 Tbsp olive oil 
Hamburger buns, for serving 
Sliced cheese, for serving 

Mash black beans in a medium bowl using a potato masher. The recipe calls for a fork but I quickly abandoned that idea and traded it out for the masher. The key is to not over-mash. There should still be some texture to the beans. 

Add in the breadcrumbs, onion, egg and spices and stir until combined. 

Add in hot sauce of your choice and let sit for 5 minutes. 

Form the patties to be slightly larger than the buns, the patties do not shrink during cooking. 

The cookbook says this recipe yields 4 patties, however I would even say it could make as many as 8. The patties themselves were large and dense. 

Melt butter over medium-low heat and add in oil. Cook patties for 5 minutes or until a brown crust forms (yum!). Carefully flip the patty, top with cheese of your choice and cook for another 5 minutes or until heated through. Use a lid to assist in melting cheese, if necessary. 

Unfortunately I don't have a lid big enough to cover my cast iron skillet so my cheese was not as melty as I would've liked (sad life). 

These burgers were absolutely delicious and so simple to make! I cannot believe it! I also loved how moist they were. I've noticed that black bean and other non-meat patties can be very dry and fall apart but that definitely wasn't these! Oh my gosh I'm already dreaming of the next time I can eat these burgers. 

I HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of ALL of Ree Drummond's cookbooks as they are all phenomenal. 

To accompany these fantastic burgers (seriously, I'm still drooling over here) I decided to make some sweet potato fries. Now call me picky but I believe sweet potatoes are sweet enough on their own and therefore I don't like to add anything else sweet. It's too overpowering, so I try to pair sweet potatoes with spicy or smoky flavors. 

Sweet Potato Fries

2 sweet potatoes, washed and peeled 
4 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1/2 tsp smoky paprika 

Fill a medium-sized bowl with tap water. After peeling the potatoes, cut the potatoes into wedges. Place the wedges into the water for at least 3 hours. This step may sound strange but it really helps to cut the starch in the potatoes and help them cook a little faster. 

After letting the potatoes soak, preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Toss potatoes in 2 Tbsp olive oil and spices. 

Coat a baking sheet with the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil.  

Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the potatoes after 15. 

I served these potatoes with sriracha-spiked ketchup. 

This meal was absolutely amazing and I definitely think everyone should try them as soon as absolutely possible. 


Huge thank you to my mother-in-law for the cookbook and to Ree Drummond for producing such amazing recipes for me to try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment