Thursday, December 31, 2015

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce

It's the last day of 2015, readers! I hope 2015 treated you well and that 2016 treats you even better! 

Last night I made my final home-cooked meal of 2015 courtesy of my second culinary influence: Ree Drummond. I swear readers, her newest cook book, The Pioneer Woman Cooks Dinnertime is fantastic! You all need to pick up a copy for yourself and then gift a copy to all your friends and family. 

This dinner was quick, easy and only used one skillet! Who doesn't love an easy cleanup? 

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce 


4 chicken breasts, sliced in half 
Salt and pepper 
2 Tbsp olive oil 
2 Tbsp butter 
3 garlic cloves 
1 C brandy, white wine or chicken broth
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard 
1 Tbsp stone ground mustard 
1/2 C chicken broth 
1/3 C heavy cream 
Chopped parsley, for garnish 

I only used 2 chicken breasts so I halved the recipe. 

Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken. 

In a cast iron skillet (man mine has been getting a lot of use the last couple days), heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate. 

Add minced garlic to skillet and stir it around so it won't brown. 

Cut off the heat and add the brandy, wine or chicken stock. I used a Pino Grigio. 

Turn the heat back to medium-high and stir. The liquid will bubble and deglaze the pan. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half, should take about 3 minutes. 

Add the mustards (yummy!). Whisk them around and let them bubble. 

Pour in the chicken broth and whisk the sauce. 

Pour in the cream, season with salt and pepper (mine only needed pepper). 

Pour over chicken breasts and add a sprinkling of parsley. 

The sauce had the great vinegar bite of mustard, the richness from the cream and paired so well with the crisp and juicy chicken. Oh Ree, you did it again! 

There was some leftover sauce in the pan and I had some frozen broccoli in the freezer so I dropped the heat down to medium, threw the broccoli in, stirred it around in the sauce and steamed it for 5 minutes. I also solved my no-lid-big-enough problem! I took a piece of aluminum foil and covered the skillet. 

I also had some Parmesan couscous in the pantry that came with us from Albuquerque so I paired that as well. 

This whole meal was absolutely sublime! Seriously, try this ASAP! 

I hope you spend the final day of 2015 well and stay safe out there, readers! 

1 comment: