Thursday, December 8, 2016

Macaroni and Cheese

As promised, here's the second post of the day! On Monday, (God why does that seem like it was a year ago?) I invited over my friend Randi Alexander (whom I haven't seen in about 2 months) for dinner. She recently accepted a new big-girl-type job and I began working for my wonderful company so we haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to catch up.


I made a crowd favorite: Macaroni and Cheese.


Who doesn't love cheese? IT HEALS ALL AILMENTS! This recipe was given to me by my dear friend, Casey Witherspoon before I got married and it is probably one of my favorites because it's so simple.


Macaroni and Cheese

3 Tbsp butter
1/4 C flour
2 C milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp cream cheese (optional)
2 Tbsp heavy cream (optional)
1 lb pasta
2 C shredded cheese (plus more for topping)
1 C Italian breadcrumbs


Boil pasta according to package instructions.


Preheat oven to 375.


In a heavy oven-safe pot (I love to use my trusty Martha Stewart Dutch oven), melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted add in the flour. Stir the mixture using a wooden spoon and cook until mixture's color begins to change from pale white to a caramel golden.


Pour in the milk and stir. Let the mixture bubble until it thickens. For me, this took about 5 minutes. Once you achieve optimal thickness, season with salt and pepper. If you're like me and have just random ingredients in your fridge that you bought but now have nothing to do with the small amount that's left, throw them in the sauce. I had about 3 Tbsp of cream cheese I wouldn't use for anything and some heavy cream that was a few days' shy of expiring so I threw them in there too, but the recipe is just as good without these additions. Remove the sauce from the heat.


Now for the fun part: CHEESE! I used a hoop cheddar (a rich and velvety sharp cheddar) and a jalapeno jack (both I picked up at the State Farmer's Market here in Raleigh) but as with any amazing cheese-y dish, get creative. Use whatever cheese makes you happiest. Stir the 2 C shredded cheese into the sauce until it's pretty much combined and melty.


Add in the pasta. Coat the pasta with the cheese sauce and smooth out the top. Top with about 1 C of cheese (because who doesn't want extra cheese?) and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake the macaroni and cheese uncovered for 20 minutes or until melty and bubbly.


This dish is sure to please and is pretty quick to make. From start to finish it's maybe 40 minutes and will have everyone clamoring for seconds. Enjoy, readers! Stay tuned for tonight's dinner of Turkey burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment