Sunday, December 11, 2016

Mexican Tortilla Casserole

Today I have accomplished pretty much nothing. I lounged around on the couch for a few hours, I folded and put away laundry, I packed for my upcoming trips (stay tuned for posts about Lubbock, Texas and Chicago, Illinois). I gotta tell you, it's been amazing to be so lazy the past few days. There's something strangely comforting in having no obligations, plus the colder temperatures promote staying in. When the weather outside is frightful, I like to stuff my face-hole with soup and casseroles. Tonight's face-stuffing was Mexican Tortilla Casserole inspired by Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime. I've already explained that Ree Drummond is one of my culinary idols and this cookbook is shear genius!

I say "inspired" because while I believe that this recipe would be fantastic as is, I did a few improvisations with ingredients that I happened to have on hand. Look at me! I'm like a real cook using my instincts and stuff. The original undoctored recipe is here

Mexican Tortilla Casserole


2 Tbsp olive oil
6 whole tomatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
4 Tsp chili powder
2 Tsp paprika
2 Tsp cumin
1/2 Tsp salt
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
28 oz pinto beans, drained
1 15 oz can black beans, drained
1 C diced green chile
2 C hot salsa
12 corn tortillas
3 C diced and roasted potatoes
1 11 oz can corn, drained
1 1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
2 C red chile sauce
Sour cream, for serving

So the above recipe is with my adjustments and substitutions.

Preheat oven to 375.

In a very large skillet (or in my case a small-ish stock pot) saute onions, garlic, tomatoes and bell pepper for 2 minutes in 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat.

Season with 2 Tsp of chili powder, 1 Tsp paprika and 1 Tsp cumin. Cook for another minute.

Remove the mixture to a separate bowl.

Using the same skillet (or small-ish stock pot), heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil and add in the chicken. Season with 2 Tsp chili powder, 1 Tsp paprika, 1 Tsp cumin and salt.

Saute the chicken until golden brown and cooked though. Should be around 5 minutes.

Add in 1 C water and stir to make a sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes.

Stir in the beans and green chile.

To assemble the casserole, pour 1 C of the hot salsa in the bottom of a 9X13 casserole dish. Spread the salsa to coat the bottom evenly.

Cover the bottom of the casserole dish with the corn tortillas.

Spread the potatoes (recipe here) in an even layer over the corn tortillas.

Spread the tomato mixture over the potatoes and top with the drained corn. Now add the chicken mixture. Now add half the cheese.

Pour on 1 C red chile sauce (recipe here).

Top with another layer of corn tortillas.

Add the remainder of the salsa, red chile sauce and cheese. Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.

This casserole is absolutely fantastic and filling. I ate a small square and was utterly stuffed and luckily for us (well, Nate really since I will be going on vacation beginning Thursday) there are plenty of leftovers. Well, enjoy your last full week before Christmas, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment