Sunday, August 6, 2017

Vegetable Breakfast Scramble and Vegetarian Pizza

Good evening, readers! I know I said I was going to do better at posting more regularly and haven't really fulfilled that promise but I have an excellent excuse! This week was hectic and I ended up eating a lot of leftovers of things I've already blogged about.

Anywho, I thought that I'd hit you guys with two posts back-to-back! My breakfast and my dinner for today! Lucky you!

This morning I actually slept in (for the first time in about a month) and woke up with a growling stomach. After trying to determine if I wanted cereal, a pancake, or something a little more substantial, I took a look at all the beautiful veggies in my kitchen and settled on a vegetable scramble with leftover pita bread.

Vegetable Breakfast Scramble




1 garlic clove, minced
2 green bell pepper rings, chopped
3 baby portabella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 C spinach
6 Kalamata olives, finely chopped
3 banana peppers, diced
2 eggs
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch red chile powder (or cayenne)

Spray a skillet with non-stick spray and set over medium heat. Saute garlic, bell peppers and mushrooms in until softened.

Add in the spinach leaves and cook until wilted. Add in the olives and banana peppers and cook for 2 more minutes.

In a small bowl, beat eggs with heavy cream and seasonings. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook until light and fluffy and scrambled egg-y. Enjoy this delicious and filling scramble with some leftover pita bread of a piece of toast.

I spent the morning being a bum. I am always very late on the "what's trending" front of television and movies (seriously, I started watching The Walking Dead just last year), anyway, I decided to give Stranger Things a try and it's safe to say I'm hooked now. I spent the morning binge watching and the afternoon shopping for house essentials, purging old things throughout my apartment and cleaning.

This evening I decided to make myself a vegetarian pizza inspired by my favorite take-and-bake pizza establishment.

Vegetarian Pizza




1 (Finally) Perfect Pizza Crust
1 C garlic sauce (recipe to follow)
1 can artichoke heart quarters, drained
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 C spinach
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into rounds
1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 C - 3/4 C mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spread pizza dough onto a baking sheet and poke holes using a fork.

Spread sauce in an even layer and top with vegetables and cheeses. Season with some fresh cracked pepper.

Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly and delicious.

Garlic Sauce

3/4 C light ranch dressing
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp salt
Fresh cracked red pepper, to taste
1 scallion (green parts only), finely diced
1/4 C Parmesan cheese, shredded

Mix everything together in a bowl until well combined.

The crust was the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy, the sauce was garlic-y and flavorful, the vegetables were soft but not mushy, the toppings were all held in place by the cheese - basically it was a marvelous pie. The one plus side to being temporarily husband-less is that I have 9 out of 10 slices to eat for the rest of the week! Score for me!

Enjoy what remains of your weekend, readers! I think I'm going to crack open a beer and watch a movie with my kittens. Stay tuned for more recipes!

1 comment:

  1. I bet the pizza would be even better with a drizzle of ranch or bbq sauce!

    ReplyDelete