Monday, January 8, 2018

Pizza for 2

Good morning, readers! Here we are at another Monday. I'm thrilled, can you tell? This weekend was a great one for recuperating considering the high temperatures in Raleigh were in the teens and twenties and recuperate I did! Unfortunately for me, I picked up a bug last week and was feeling worse for wear.


Friday night I skipped the gym (bad me, I know) and made Nate and I a tasty dinner of Vegetarian Jambalaya and we settled down to watch the newest season of Black Mirror. Have you ever seen it? I highly recommend it. It's a show that really makes you think about our dependence on technology and the direction our future could be headed. Get on Netflix and binge!


Saturday was spent largely lounging with a quick trip to the North Carolina Museum of History, an excellent donation-encouraged museum filled with interactive exhibits great for all ages. The current main exhibit was a look into WWI and it's connection to North Carolina. It was fascinating looking at the hundred-year-old artifacts and seeing how many of them are still used today.


After the museum came my favorite time of day: dinner time. As you can probably determine from the title of this post, I made pizza.


Pizza for 2






1 pound (Finally) Perfect Pizza Dough
1-2 C marinara sauce (I used a tomato-basil variety from Aldi)
2 small zucchini, cut into rounds
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1 C fresh spinach leaves
1/2 shallot, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 C giardinara, drained (optional)
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 C parmesan cheese


My favorite part about pizza (besides everything about it) is how customizable it is! Nate and I were each able to make totally individual pizzas at the same time and on the same crust! How many other foods can you do this with?


Preheat oven to 425.


Spritz a baking sheet with non-stick spray and roll out your pizza dough to fill the pan. I wasn't able to get mine to totally fill the pan, but it was good enough.


Evenly spread your tomato sauce and begin building! Layer all your toppings evenly and sprinkle on the cheeses. My half was all the veggies and cheese while Nate opted for cheese and giardinara, a solid topping choice.


Bake your pizza for 18-22 minutes or until desired doneness. I prefer my crust a little crispy so our pizza was closer to the 22 minute mark.


Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.


The veggies were perfectly tender without being mushy and how can you go wrong with cheese and crust? You can't.


Stay tuned for the jewel of the weekend meals: Mushroom Bourguignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment