Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Black-Eyed Pea Curry

As promised, the recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Curry! I am not usually one to admit this, but I am a picky eater. In some respects anyway. A perfect example of this would be black-eyed peas. The mere thought of eating these beans? Peas? What are they anyway? Was enough to send me running and screaming for the hills.


Many moons ago, Nate bought 2 bags of dried black-eyed peas. Why? I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe he wanted to make them for New Year's? Maybe he wanted to use them for pie weights? Literally have no idea. Regardless, these dried legumes were laying in a deep, dark hole in my pantry for the better part of two years. I consulted Pinterest and found a recipe that used these little beans in a way that made them sound, dare I say, appetizing? So I gave it a try and here's the result!


Black-Eyed Pea Curry






1 C dried black-eyed peas
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp cumin
1 onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tsp turmeric
2 Tsp chili powder
2 Tsp garam masala
1 Tsp coriander
3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 C full fat coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish if you're feeling fancy


In a small saucepan, pour in dried black-eyed peas (BEP for short because I'm tired of typing it all out) and cover with water and season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Drain.


I made my BEP ahead of time and stored them in the fridge because I didn't want to do this on a Monday night while simultaneously cooking the rest of the food.


Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the cumin and toast for 20-30 seconds.


Add in the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 additional minutes. Season with all the wonderful seasonings and stir for 1 minute.


Add in your diced tomato and continue to sauté for a few more minutes. Stand over your simmering pot and take a big sniff. I know that sounds like a weird instruction but the aromas are heavenly! Spicy, garlic-y, magnificent. Just please do that while you're cooking. Your nose and probably stomach will thank you.


Stir in your coconut milk and BEP. Turn the heat down to low and allow the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes. The sauce gets thick and the flavors marry. It's an experience! Do a taste check and serve over basmati rice (or if you don't have fancy rice, white rice).


This curry was amazing! It was so...earthy? I guess that's the best word for it. It was heavily spiced and utterly fantastic. My only complaint was I was hoping for more spice, guess I'll double the chili powder next time!


Nate ate 2 heaping bowls of this curry and took another helping with him for lunch the following day. I would gladly make this dish again with that small spice adjustment.


Have a great Wednesday, readers!

1 comment:

  1. This was really good. I bought the black-eyed peas last year to make for New Year's, so they aren't that old.

    ReplyDelete