Monday, February 12, 2018

Minestrone Soup

Good morning, readers! I know you've missed me as much as I missed you! Last week was busy filled with meetings, CEO visits, conference attending and cooking of previous recipes (thus why there's been no blog post until today).


This weekend Nate went camping and I stayed home because I dislike sleeping outdoors and being dirty. It gave me the perfect opportunity to pamper myself and get things done! Also to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. Friday night's dinner was Garlic Pain Perdu, which is a savory and luscious French Toast served alongside some lemony green beans with garlic and slivered almonds (are you drooling yet?); Saturday morning I treated myself to some homemade egg and cheese biscuits after an early-morning run, and then ate copious amounts of Moe's Southwest Grill.


But last night Nate returned and I wanted to make him something delicious and comforting to come home to so I settled on some minestrone soup! Unfortunately for me however the weather was far too hot and muggy to accommodate my soup making and Nate had stopped at a buffet on the way home and loaded up his plate(s) with everything from fried chicken and candied sweet potatoes to pizza and cobbler - meaning he didn't eat much soup.


Minestrone Soup






2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tsp fresh/dried basil (or 1 Tsp basil paste)
1 Tsp oregano
3/4 Tsp rosemary
1/2 Tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 Tsp sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with garlic and seasonings
4 C vegetable stock
1 zucchini, diced
3 C pasta (I used egg noodles because I had them on hand but small shells are traditionally used)
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can green beans, drained and rinsed
2 C fresh spinach leaves
Shredded parmesan cheese, for serving


In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Add in garlic and sauté for 1 additional minute. Add in seasonings and sugar and cook for 1 minute.


Throw in the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a rolling boil and cover. Allow the mixture to boil for 15 minutes.


After 15 minutes, add in the zucchini and pasta. Stir the soup, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.


Finally add in the beans, green beans and spinach leaves. Stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.


Scoop up a heaping helping and top with some shredded parmesan, if desired and enjoy!


This soup was hearty and flavorful! 1 bowl left me feeling stuffed, of course I also ate this delicious concoction with a piece of garlic Texas toast so that could've added to my full tummy.


This recipe yields about 6-8 bowls of soup, depending on your bowl and ladle of course. The remainder of our soup is sitting in our fridge marinating and awaiting cooler soup-appropriate temps, which are supposedly on the way.


Stay tuned for some more delicious recipes and have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. This soup will be really good tomorrow when the high is 43 F!

    ReplyDelete