Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Dinosaur Weekend 2018

Welcome back, readers! I know you just checked out my Death & Taxes  blog and just can't get enough of me so you're back for more. I can't say I blame you - I am witty, talented, smart and oh, so humble. I have to give the people what they want!


I am passionate about a few things - sharks, cooking, hugs and dinosaurs. You're probably now wondering why I have the interests of a 12-year-old. I'm just a kid at heart! Anyway, unless you're living under a rock, you probably know that last weekend the newest installment of the blockbuster Jurassic Park series was released - of course I had a whole themed weekend planned to celebrate and the first activity was Dinosaur Dinner while watching the original film that started it all.


Dinosaur Dinner





This dinner had everything - carbs, cheese, meatless hot dog chili, and theme!


Dino-Spikes with Gallimimus Guacamole (Quesadillas with Guacamole)


4 large flour tortillas
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 bell pepper, sliced
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 C pickled jalapenos (optional)


Preheat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet (or 2) with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray to avoid sticking.


Place 2 tortillas on the prepared baking sheet and load up with 1/4 C onion, 1/4 C bell pepper, 1/2 C cheese and 1/8 C jalapenos each. Top with remaining tortillas and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, flip over to crisp up other side and bake another 10. Slice into triangles (the "spikes").


Gallimimus Guacamole


3 ripe avocadoes, diced
1/2 roma tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1 Tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tsp red chile powder (optional, but strongly encouraged!)


In a large bowl, mash avocado and add all ingredients. Do a taste check - or 3.


Tricera-Tots (Ultimate Tots)


1 bag frozen tater puffs
1 can meatless hot dog chili (fun fact, most of the hot dog chili is meatless! Just read the label!)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
Ranch dressing, for serving


Preheat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Spray the foil with cooking spray to avoid sticking.


Spread the taters in a single layer and bake for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes flip and top with chili, onions and cheese. Bake another 10-12 minutes or until crisp and golden.


Top with pickled jalapenos, if you wish. Also drizzle on some good quality ranch dressing because ranch is scientifically proven to make anything already tremendous, even more delectable.


I also bought some spinach and kale dinosaur-shaped vegetable nuggets at Aldi to go with our meal! They were just a fun addition, if your family is of the carnivorous persuasion, dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets would also be a great option!


On Friday I wore the dinosaur-DNA dress I bought especially for this weekend (seriously, I did. Never underestimate my passion), went to Dairy Queen for a Jurassic Chomp Blizzard - they're delicious by the way, and then settled in to watch Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on the big screen.








It was a great movie and an even better Dinosaur Weekend with my main man and fellow dinosaur enthusiast!


Many thanks for reading, as always! I couldn't do it without you guys!

1 comment:

  1. I liked the movie, and the themed dinner was a great way to kick off the celebration!

    ReplyDelete