Saturday, May 30, 2020

Cured Salmon

Happy Saturday, readers! This morning Nate and I went to the Santa Fe National Forest for a hike, we had intended to hike from the Hamilton Mesa to an abandoned cabin near the Pecos River but monsoon-patterned thunderstorms had other ideas. We stopped after 4 miles before turning around and returning to the car.

A quick drive back to Santa Fe led us to Blue Corn Brewery to pick up a growler of beer, Total Wine & More for some mezcal and Tortilla Flats for take-out lunch.

As I've mentioned before, I am trying to be more at home in Santa Fe. I have been gardening in our sizeable yard, decorating and cleaning and of course trying out new recipes and blogging.

Happy little succulents
One of my favorite things in the entire world is gravlax AKA lox and bagel. This dish has everything you could possibly want: fattiness and richness, saltiness, vinegar, creaminess, freshness, chewiness and carbs! Want to know something I never thought was possible with regard to my favorite dish? THAT IT IS THE EASIEST THING EVER TO MAKE!

There is a reason that salt curing is one of the earliest forms of preservation, you cannot mess it up!

Cured Salmon

1 lb Fresh Salmon, skin and pin bones removed
3 Tbsp Salt, divided
3 Tbsp Sugar, divided

Pat fresh salmon dry using a paper towel and season each side of the fish with 1 1/2 Tbsp each of salt and pepper. Using clean hands, gently rub in seasonings to flesh of the fish.

Wrap the seasoned fish in foil and store in plastic container with lid for a minimum of 24 hours.

After 24 hours, rinse off fish completely and pat dry using a clean paper towel. Store in clean plastic container with lid for another 24 hours minimum.

After the second day of refrigeration, your fish is ready for use! The salt and sugar has penetrated the flesh of the fish and "cooked" it. This fish is not raw! Don't worry!

Cut thin slices off the filet using a sharp paring knife and cutting away from your body against the grain of the fish.

Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

Lox and Bagel


(insert drool emoji)
1 Bagel, any variety and toasted (I'm partial to everything bagels)
3 Tbsp Plain Cream Cheese, divided
4 oz Cured Salmon, divided
2 Tsp Capers, divided
1 Tsp Fresh or Dried Dill, divided

Toast your bagel of choice to desired tostiness.

I like a little golden brown crust but chewy inside. 

Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp of plain cream cheese on each side of the bagel in an even layer.

Top cream cheese with 2 oz of your freshly cured salmon on each half.

Next top with 1 Tsp of capers on each side.

I adore capers, the more the better in my opinion. I typically add 1 Tbsp of capers to each half of my bagel, but I understand that some people may find that excessive. 

Finally finish off your Lox and Bagel with some fresh or dried dill and there you have it! A bagel shop staple in your very own home without paying $9 for 1 serving!

I hope you enjoyed this little post and will try curing on your own - I recommend doing it when fresh salmon is on sale. I'm off to enjoy some brews with my adorable husband! Bonsoir!

As promised - our new couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment