Monday, September 14, 2015

Spicy Potato & Lemon Casserole

Something that you may not know about Nate and I is that we were both vegetarians. I was a vegetarian for roughly 8 years and Nate for 16 years (he was raised vegetarian). During my vegetarian days I felt much healthier, lighter, nourished - so Nate and I decided to begin eating a vegetarian diet during the week. Luckily for us, while we were visiting Sissy in Virginia a few weeks ago we found a vegetarian cookbook (in near mint condition) at a DAV thrift store (for those not in "the know" the DAV is a thrift store that benefits disabled American veterans). 

The book: What's Cooking Vegetarian by Jenny Stacey 

The recipe: Spicy Potato and Lemon Casserole 

Servings: 4


1/2 C olive oil
2 red onions, cut into eigths 
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs ground cumin 
2 tbs ground coriander (or coriander seeds) 
Pinch of cayenne pepper (I love spice so I definitely will add more next time I make this recipe)
1 carrot, thickly sliced 
2 small turnips, quartered 
1 zucchini, thickly sliced 
1 lb potatoes, thickly sliced 
2 lemons, juice and zest (personally I think 2 lemons was a little much, I'd use 1-1 1/2 if I were you)
1 1/4 C vegetable stock 
2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh or dried (I used dried) 
Salt and pepper, to taste 

In a casserole pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the red onions and sauté for 3 minutes, continuously stirring. 

Add garlic to the pot and cook for 30 seconds. Mix in the spices and cook for 1 minute. 

Add the carrot, turnips, zucchini, and potatoes. Stir to coat in olive oil. 

Add lemon juice, zest, stock, dried cilantro and salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. 

If using fresh cilantro, chop and garnish casserole prior to serving. 

I would not call this recipe a "casserole" as much as it is a stew, which frankly was perfect for the fall weather blowing into Raleigh today (I had to sleep with a quilt on my bed got the first time in months last night!) I served this with a roll to soak up the fantastic broth left behind after all the tender vegetables were devoured. 

Hope you enjoy this recipe, readers! And look forward to many more (hopefully) tasty recipes from What's Cooking Vegetarian! 

No comments:

Post a Comment