Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Vegetable Toad-In-The-Hole

Continuing the theme of weekday vegetarianism, tonight's dinner is Vegetable Toad-In-The-Hole. What is a toad-in-the-hole? I must confess I didn't know myself so I consulted the Google. According to Wikipedia, "a toad-in-the-hole is a traditional British dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter and served with vegetables and onion gravy." 

I once again used what is quickly becoming my new favorite cookbook for weeknight meals: What's Cooking Vegetarian by Jenny Stacey. 

Vegetable Toad-In-The-Hole 


The filling: 

2 Tbsp butter 
1 white onion, cut into eighths 
2 garlic cloves, crushed 
2 oz baby carrots, cut lengthwise 
2 tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks 
2 C green beans 
1 can corn (I used fiesta corn because it was on hand) 
1 Tbsp whole-grain mustard 
Mixed herbs 
Salt and pepper 

In a large (very large and deep) skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 2 minutes. 

Mix in carrots, tomato and green beans. Cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, "mixed herbs" (personally, I believe this is the cookbooks way of saying "go crazy", I used herbs de Provevce and herbed poultry seasoning) and mustard. 

Spoon into the middle of the batter and bake for 30-35 minutes. 

The batter: 

3/4 C flour, sifted 
Pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten 
3/4 C milk 
2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard 
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400. 

In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, milk and mustard. 

Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and let sit for 5 minutes. 

Pour oil into a 9X13 baking dish and place into 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and slowly pour batter into the pan.

I made this recipe exactly as the cookbook said, however I would make the following changes: the vegetables weren't very browned after 38 minutes in the 400 degree oven so I would suggest also adding 5 minutes under the broiler to achieve crispy and brown goodness. The flavor of this dish was absolutely divine (Nate got seconds and even licked his plate because it was so good!) so definitely try out this recipe, readers! You won't regret it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment