Monday, October 24, 2016

Garlic Pain Perdu

Have you ever had pain perdu? No? Have you ever heard of pain perdu? No? Yeah, actually prior to reading my April 2015 issue of Food & Wine Magazine neither had I. Turns out that "pain perdu" is French for "French Toast" or, according to Food & Wine, "Lost Bread". This pain perdu can be made sweet or, as in this recipe, delightfully savory.

Garlic Pain Perdu


4 large eggs
2 C milk
3 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp thyme
1/2 Tsp fresh cracked pepper
6 1-inch thick slices of Italian bread (I used Rosemary Olive Oil Italian bread, believe me it was absolutely fantastic)
3 Tbsp salted butter

In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk, garlic and seasonings.

Dip bread in the egg mixture and allow to soak for a few minutes.

Melt 1 Tbsp of butter at a time in a skillet over medium-high heat, and remove the bread from the egg mixture and allow the excess to drip off. I cooked the bread in batches of two slices at a time.

Fry the bread in the skillet. Allow each side to brown about 5 minutes and flip ONLY ONCE. The bread will come out golden brown, fluffy and delicious.

Nate and I discussed how awesome this bread would taste with a slice of melty, bubbly and slightly burnt Jarlsburg cheese on top. Just picture that for a minute...are you drooling yet? Try it out and let me know how it goes, will ya'?

I served this surprisingly filling bread with a salad (you know to feel like I ate more than just buttery, egg-y bread) and paired it with a Pino Grigio. It was an absolutely incredible meal to curb my new-job-inducing-working-out-daily hunger.

I hope Monday treated you well, readers and have a fantastic rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment