Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Spook-ghetti and Meatballs

I may have a few new readers in my audience so allow me to welcome you! Thank you all for taking the time out of your day to read my blog! I hope you all enjoy it (that goes same for my loyal fans too)!

Well, yesterday I began my new job and man am I loving it! I have beautiful views of downtown Raleigh and everyone in my office is extremely friendly and welcoming!

As aforementioned, I am trying to make Halloween-themed meals during the month of October, however I must admit I'm not doing a very successful job of it so far...I've accomplished exactly two meals: second of which was tonight's Spook-ghetti and Meatballs.

This meal was a cinch to make and honestly a lot of fun! There's something so nostalgic in getting your hands dirty and playing with your food. Sometime's it's fun to be a kid-dult.

Spook-ghetti and Meatballs


1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef, but I don't eat beef)
1 slice multi-grain bread
3 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp (plus a reserved 3/4 C) Italian breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
5 Tbsp olive oil

In a small bowl, combine bread and milk. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Put turkey in a larger bowl. Add in ketchup, 2 Tbsp Italian breadcrumbs, garlic powder, parsley and salt and pepper.

After 10 minutes have passed, tear apart bread (which has now fully soaked up the milk) and add into the turkey bowl.

Now comes the fun part! Using your clean hands (you're adults, I shouldn't have to tell you to wash your hands) mix all the ingredients in the turkey bowl until it is combined. It is very important to not over-mix the turkey though, it should still retain some of the ground meat look. Once meat mixture is combined, form into 1 inch balls, this recipe should yield about 20 meatballs.

Pour olive oil in a heavy skillet, try to use one that has high walls to avoid splashing. Heat oil to medium. Fry balls for about 5 minutes per side. They should be browned on all sides and cooked through after about 20 minutes.

The recipe for the meatballs came from Grandpa's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Cookbook written by Judi Barrett and illustrated by Ron Barrett. As I've mentioned to you guys before, this cookbook is filled with recipes that are awesome for children or for large adult-sized children. That being said, if you have children, enlist them into meatball making service; they'll have fun and you'll have fewer meatballs to make yourself.

I paired these meatballs with linguini and roasted red pepper pesto (both store bought) and I added a little red pepper flake on top for some added spice.

The meatballs were absolutely delicious! Perfectly seasoned, browned and looked nice and spooky. I even watched the 2013 remake of the Evil Dead while eating it to add in the spooky-ness.

Enjoy the spook-ghetti and meatballs and your Tuesday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment