Sunday, March 26, 2017

Chicken Yakitori

This weekend has been so busy and of course, has gone by way too quickly. Nate has spent the last two days underneath his Jeep fixing something or another, yesterday I spent the whole day pampering myself and day drinking with some of my lady friends, and today I cleaned the apartment and went grocery shopping. I know what you're thinking, how can she possibly clean AND grocery shop in the same day? Anyway, after all that activity I either wanted to get a pizza or maybe use some of the $100 worth of ingredients I bought to make food. Making food won out.

I opened up my Rachael Ray's 30-minute Meal Get Togethers, truly a fantastic cookbook that I can't stop not-so-subtly trying to get people to buy, and found the recipe for Chicken Yakitori! Yakitori, according to Google, is a style of Japanese street food that is typically served on skewers. Sounds yummy, right? I thought so too. While I'm sure Rachel's recipe is truly fantastic, I made a few adjustments to the recipe in accordance to what I had on hand.

Chicken Yakitori


2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
3 Tbsp dry sherry
2 Tbsp light colored oil
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 C Tamari
5 Chives, chopped (Rachael suggests cutting in half)
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (not in recipe)
Yum Yum Sauce (optional)

Create a marinade for the chicken with the sherry, oil, sugar, chives and Tamari. Marinate the chicken for 10 minutes.

Rachael suggests cooking in a large grill pan, hibachi grill or barbecue grill. However, I unfortunately do not own any of the above so I used a skillet. In a large skillet, heat sesame oil and sear chicken for 3 minutes per side. The marinade will create a beautifully sweet crust on the chicken as it cooks.

I'm sure making the recipe as written results in a truly excellent meal. I used chive from my own planter but due to its limited size, I could only harvest the greens of the chive so I snipped them and threw them in the marinade as opposed to grilling them separately.

I served these chicken strips with my delicious curried rice and a side of yum yum sauce. It was incredible! Mrs. Ray you've done it again! Enjoy the last few hours of your weekend readers and good luck on Monday morning!

2 comments:

  1. What does Rachel have against chives? Full bore, full speed ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sesame oil was a delicious additon.

    ReplyDelete