Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Smoky Guacamole

Alright, so I know I promised a fried chicken recipe for today but I realized I hadn't marinated my chicken in buttermilk and I was at work so I couldn't really fix that issue so stay tuned for fried chicken!




Anyway, after a long workday, 3 mile run and just being all-around worn out; I wanted to make something quick, easy and utilized the avocados I knew would soon be turning overly ripened. I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times - thank God for Rachael Ray. I've used my 30-Minute Meals Get Togethers cookbook more than any other I own I'm pretty sure. Seriously. Go buy this book! Follow this link and purchase it immediately Click here and buy this book. This recipe was simple, delicious and altered slightly from the original so I guess I should say this meal was inspired by Rachael's rather than is Rachael's.


Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Smoky Guacamole


For the guac:
2 ripe avocados, diced and smashed
3 Tbsp sour cream
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, rough chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt


Normally I don't sway from my trusty guacamole recipe I've been perfecting for the past few years but I'll admit this one wasn't too bad.


In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients and taste test. Adjust seasoning accordingly. Taste test again. And again and again just to be extra sure it tastes right. Refrigerate until ready to use.


For the quesadillas:
4 oz chorizo
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb medium cooked shrimp, deveined, tails removed, and roughly chopped
4 flour tortillas
2 C shredded chipotle & habanero cheese


In a large skillet, brown the chorizo sausage over medium heat for 3 minutes. Crumble it up like ground beef. After browned, remove the chorizo to a plate and cover with foil. Keep the grease in the pan.


Lower the heat to medium and brown the garlic for 1 minute then add in the shrimp.


*As a side note, I bought medium cooked shrimp completely by mistake but it ended up making everything so much easier! I didn't have to worry about cooking the shrimp, just about heating them up in the pan. It was great!


Throw the chopped cooked shrimp in the pan and cook until heated through, this should only take a minute. Remove the cooked shrimp to a plate and cover with foil.


Wipe skillet with a paper towel to remove grease and return to medium heat. Place tortilla in pan to stiffen for 1 minute per side. Believe me this step really helps when it comes time to flip your quesadilla! After both sides of the tortilla are browned, layer about 1/4 C cheese, a scoop of chorizo sausage, a scoop of shrimp and another 1/4 C cheese. Layer with another tortilla and cover skillet with a lid to melt the cheese. Flip the quesadilla after 2-3 minutes (when cheese melts and sticks to top tortilla) and cook for another 2-3 minutes.


Repeat with remaining ingredients.


Cut quesadillas into triangles and serve with guacamole.


These quesadillas were excellent! Smoky, salty, cheesy, gooey and filling. Nate and I were stuffed after 1 quesadilla each! I would highly recommend giving these a try for a busy weeknight meal or for a Get Together.


Fried chicken recipe tomorrow, I promise!


And here's a picture of my cat, Pickles just because. 

1 comment: