Thursday, March 30, 2017

Double Dipped Fried Chicken

The day has finally come, readers! I made the fried chicken! I know you've all just been anxiously refreshing your browsers waiting for this post to go up and I'm here to say, the wait is finally over. You're welcome.


There was a slight issue with cooking time but that was operator error and not recipe error so fear not! This recipe will result in crunchy, moist, and delicious fried chicken that couples perfectly with an ear of corn on the cob and a dash of hot sauce.


Double Dipped Fried Chicken Breasts


2 chicken breasts, butterflied (I didn't do this myself, but I definitely should've)
2 C buttermilk
1/4 C milk
Dash of red pepper hot sauce
2 C flour
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp cayenne
Canola or vegetable oil, for frying




Let me begin by saying I'm weird about meat. I don't like meat on the bone. I know it's more flavorful and moister and blah, blah, blah but it just innerves me. Don't ask me why but I've always been this way. Thus, I did not use a mixture of chicken pieces (legs, drums, wings, etc.) and instead used the boneless, skinless chicken breasts I have come to love.


The night before, pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and marinate chicken in buttermilk, water and hot sauce. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours but longer is better. The buttermilk helps to tenderize the chicken.


When you're ready to fry, in a doubled brown paper bag (trust me, this alleviates the "club hands" that can sometimes occur when dredging things), combine flour and spices and place now-marinated chicken into the bag and shake to coat. After the first coating, remove chicken from flour mixture and dip back into the buttermilk. Replace in paper bag and shake to coat again. This part is surprisingly fun! Allow the chicken to sit in the flour mixture for 5 minutes. This helps make the coating stick.


In a large Dutch oven or electric fryer, heat 1 inch worth of oil to 350 degrees or until flour sizzles when sprinkled in the pan. Gently place chicken in the oil and fry for 5 minutes per side. Here's where I messed up - I had 2 super thick chicken breasts (that I definitely should've butterflied) and 1 butterflied breast (more similar to a chicken strip) to fry. The butterflied breast was cooked through after 10 minutes in the oil, the other two could've used at least another 5 minutes in the oil to be cooked through. Unfortunately, Nate and I didn't realize their undercooked-ness until he was already halfway through his breast (which he promptly stuck back in the oil to fry longer). You live and you learn, right? So I'd recommend 1) butterflying your chicken breasts to make them thinner and thus they'll be cooked through in 10 minutes or 2) frying your super thick chicken breast for 15 minutes.


Remove fried chicken to a paper towel lined plate, sprinkle with salt and rest for 2 minutes.


Top chicken breasts with a few dashes of hot sauce and you have yourself a fantastic meal in the making! We ate our chicken with the classic side of corn on the cob and an ice cold beer to wash everything down. We were in fried food heaven!


Enjoy this recipe and remember I make this horrendous cooking mistakes so you don't have to. Have a great Thursday, readers!

1 comment:

  1. It was still good after refrying it, but definitely butterfly if you're going to use a regular chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete