Sunday, April 9, 2017

Beer Battered Fish

One thing I've learned is that I'm horrible at frying things. My batter never sticks to whatever it's supposed to but certainly sticks to the bottom of the Dutch oven I'm using to fry in, my kitchen ends up smelling like stale grease and everything takes way too long to fry everything.

Last night I tried my hand at fried fish and it looked absolutely horrific but tasted slightly alright.

Beer Battered Fried Fish


2 lb Tilapia fillets
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 Tsp sugar
1 bottle beer
1 Tsp hot sauce
Canola oil, for frying

Pour 3 inches of oil in a Dutch oven and heat to 350 degrees.

Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, 1 Tsp salt, beer and hot sauce.

Dip fish in beer batter and allow to sit for 5 minutes while the oil comes to temperature.

Allow the excess batter to drip off the fish before gently lowering fish into the oil using tongs. Fry fish for 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove fish to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.

We had a disgusting amount of batter leftover so we attempted to make onion rings. The batter didn't stick to the onions, it stuck to the bottom of the Dutch oven and was ugly as sin to look at. They tasted delicious though.

I served these sorry-excuses for fried fish with some frozen seasoned french fries (the less-cool cousin of the waffle fries I had for lunch).

Once again, I make horrific kitchen mistakes so you don't have to. I wouldn't try this fish if I were you. I am clearly inept.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. I leave the deep-frying to the experts. Plus it takes forever for the smell to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete