Monday, September 25, 2017

Chunky Eggplant Penne

It's definitely Monday, readers. I think I'm getting sick and today I have a dentist appointment. If there were ever a day that my mental health were in question, it'd be today. I had a wonderful and of course way too short weekend filled with time with friends and my adorable husband.


Friday night we went to Raleigh Brewing Company's Oktoberfest celebration with our friends Abbey and Seth and had an absolute blast! There was a live polka band, tasty brews and food trucks. However, we were trying to be economical and opted to eat at home instead. Now, you know I love me some Hungry Girl and this recipe for Chunky Eggplant Penne was superb, however, I didn't follow it to the letter so I can't guarantee the 312 calorie count per 2 cup serving her recipe claims. The original recipe can be found here.


Chunky Eggplant Penne




1 eggplant, ends removed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pint cherry tomatoes, whole
Nonstick spray
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb penne pasta (I used a "hidden vegetable" pasta I found at the store)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 Tsp red pepper flake
1/4 Tsp sugar
1 Tsp basil
1/4 C crumbled feta cheese, for serving


Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray, set aside. Arrange eggplant cubes and tomatoes in a single layer, spray with more nonstick spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast the veggies for 20-25 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to blister.


Meanwhile, make the pasta according to package directions.


I used the same giant stock pot I cooked the pasta in to make my sauce because why not? I let my pasta drain in my colander and sautéed onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until translucent.


Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, red pepper flake, sugar and basil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.


Once your veggies are roasted, throw into the sauce and toss in the pasta. Top each serving with some feta cheese crumbles and voila! A delicious meal that will feed you for days to come (because pasta always does). The sauce is delicious, the tomatoes get a nice charred flavor and the eggplant is perfectly soft and succulent.



It was a great and hearty meal that was perfect to prepare me for a night of beer drinking (although it didn't stop Nate and I from going to a pizza place around 10:00 PM). Stay tuned for steamed artichokes tonight!


Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. This is also good with parmesan cheese instead of feta, or with both.

    ReplyDelete