Sunday, October 29, 2017

Cadaver Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade

Happy Sunday, readers! I feel like I need to stop apologizing for the lack of posting regularity - it's probably not going to get better. We are almost at one of my favorite days of the year! So we are almost at the end of my creepy-named meals but I definitely still have some up my sleeves so prepare yourselves!

I've been trying to challenge myself to make recipes I've never made using the myriad of cookbooks in my cabinet, so Wednesday night I decided to challenge myself to make crab cakes from my Daphne Oz The Happy Cook cookbook.

Cadaver Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade



 The Remoulade:
1/2 C mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, grated (or pressed if you're lazy like me)
1 1/2 Tbsp capers, roughly chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp finely chopped chives (I omitted these)
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 1/2 Tsp hot sauce (I definitely added more than that)
1 1/2 Tsp lime juice
1/2 Tsp salt
Freshly cracked pepper

The Crab Cakes:
1/4 C mayonnaise
1 egg
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tsp seafood seasoning
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 C breadcrumbs
8 oz jumbo lump crabmeat (I used plain, old canned crab, drained)
1 Tbsp olive oil

To make the remoulade, whisk together all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until use.

For the crab cakes - whisk together mayo, egg, lime juice, seafood seasoning and salt. Add the breadcrumbs and crab meat and combine. I ended up having to add a little more breadcrumbs because my mixture was a little too wet to stick together properly. Form the mixture into 4 equal-sized flat patties.

In a skillet over medium heat, brown the patties in olive oil for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp.

Top each cake with a healthy portion of the remoulade and enjoy! As you can see, I served these cakes with the classiest of side dishes - frozen crinkle cut fries.

I was able to get exactly 4 cakes and they were delicious! The flavors were spot on, the remoulade was creamy, cool and flavorful! I think these crab cakes would be even more excellent if I were able to find jumbo lump crab for a reasonable price.

Stay tuned for more recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment