Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Roasted Potatoes and Onions and the Incredible 5-Minute Egg

I completely adore The Food Network. I always have. It's just entertaining television. Lately I've been on a Guy's Grocery Games kick, now if you've never seen this show I'll give you a little run-down and try not to judge you too harshly. The show takes place in a grocery store (or on a very convincing set of a grocery store) and contestants compete against each other in challenges that utilize particular aisles, coupons and the ultimate winner has 2 minutes to grab certain items and win cash! Now if you don't find that entertaining and exciting I don't know what's wrong with you.


Anyway, last week I was watching this show and a chef made eggs benedict. Eggs Benedict is probably my favorite brunch dish. It's buttery, it's decadent, it's luscious and goes particularly well with a mimosa. However, there is one main thing stopping me from reaching brunch mecca - poaching an egg. 1) I don't have that kind of patience and 2) I don't want to deal with my eggs not coming together correctly and I've wasted food. Both no-no's in my book. But this chef did something different, he seemed to share my discomfort with attempting this particular cooking technique and instead made a 5-minute egg.


Last night I attempted it myself.


Roasted Potatoes and Onions and the Incredible 5-Minute Egg






6 small golden potatoes, washed and cubed
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/4 C McCormick Bac'n Pieces (THEY'RE VEGETARIAN!)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 large eggs
1/4 C hot salsa, for serving


Preheat oven to 350.


Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spritz with cooking spray to ensure non-sticking.


Toss potatoes, onions and Bac'n Pieces in oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.


Now onto the egg.


Fill a 4Q saucepot with water and bring to a boil. DO NOT PUT THE EGG IN UNTIL THE WATER IS A STEADY BOIL! Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water using a slotted spoon - I confess I did not follow this step and instead clunked my eggs in, which resulted in one of them cracking. Don't be like me. Boil the eggs for exactly 5 minutes.


While your egg is boiling, fill a large bowl with water and stick in the fridge to cool.


After the 5 minutes are up, carefully remove your eggs using the slotted spoon and place them in the cool water for 2 minutes. This halts cooking and makes them easier to peel.


Serve up your potatoes and onions, spoon on some hot salsa and top with your peeled 5-minute egg.


I was skeptical. The chef on GGG said this egg will have the same runny goodness as a poached egg without the hassle. How can this possibly be? Well, I will say I cut into my eggs atop my potatoes and saw the velvety yolk drizzle out and was elated! It really was just like a poached egg! I would maybe even do a 4-minute egg next time for a little runnier yolk.


The potato recipe yielded about 4 cups' worth (most of which are in the freezer to be used at a later date) and I ate two of the magnificent eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment