Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Broccoli Cheddar Chowder

Happy Tuesday, readers! We're only 20 days from my favorite holiday - CHRISTMAS! Our tree is up and decorated, stockings are hung and our cozy little apartment has the perfect ambient glow of twinkle lights!






As a personal goal, I am trying to use up all the food in my fridge and freezer before I go grocery shopping again. As such, my meals are getting quite creative. Sunday I looked in my ice box and found - frozen broccoli and milk, my pantry revealed 2 cans of condensed cheddar soup, 2 small onions, 3 potatoes and 2 turnips. What on earth can I create with this hodge-podge of ingredients? BROCCOLI CHEDDAR CHOWDER!


Broccoli Cheddar Chowder






12 oz frozen broccoli florets
2 small onions, diced
3 C skim milk
2 cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
3 golden potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small turnips, peeled and diced
Salt and pepper, to taste


Boil potatoes and turnips in boiling water until fork tender. Drain and set aside.


In a Crock Pot, did I mention this chowder was prepared in a trusty Crock Pot? In a 5- quart Crock Pot, combine frozen broccoli, diced onions, milk, condensed soup, fork-tender potatoes and turnips and salt and pepper. Heat on low heat for 7 hours.


I prepared my chowder on Sunday night and turned the CP on before I left the house for work yesterday morning. The most excellent part of this meal was after a hard Cycle & Core sesh at the gym, I walked into a house that smelled divine and dinner that was already done. It was fantastic!


We ate our hearty chowder with some fried broad beans we picked up at the Asian market (they're delicious and delightfully crunchy - go pick some up immediately) and watched our favorite nightly television program Jeopardy!


We were able to get about 5 bowls of chowder out of this recipe and I am thrilled to have brought some for lunch (despite the fact it's going to be 70 degrees in Raleigh today).


Enjoy your Tuesday, readers and stay tuned for Tortilla-Chip Crusted Tilapia with Sweet Potato Fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment