Thursday, September 6, 2018

BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches

Back so soon? I know you just finished reading my Green Chile Pizza blog and you just couldn't wait to see more of my fantastic recipes! Well I can't deny you what you came all this way for! Let's get to it!


It seems like jackfruit is the new "it" ingredient this year. Before it was avocados, then bacon, then chia seeds, and now jackfruit is popping up on menus and grocery store shelves across the country. I have had this ingredient exactly once prior to making this recipe and I must say, I was less than impressed. The texture and flavor left an awful lot to be desired and to say "great substitute for pulled pork" is quite the stretch. So understandably I was a little apprehensive to work with this ingredient again, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results of my labor!


BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches


They look like aliens.


1 Tbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans jackfruit in water, drained, cores and hard seeds removed, and pulled
1 bottle BBQ Sauce (I used Memphis-style but feel free to use your favorite!)
1/4 C brown sugar
1 Tbsp chile powder
1 Tsp paprika
2 Tsp kosher salt
1 Tsp pepper
1 Tsp cayenne
Hamburger buns or crusty rolls, for serving


In a large Dutch oven over medium, saute onions in olive oil until softened. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in the jackfruit, BBQ sauce and seasonings. Stir to combine. Lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.


Place about 1 C of mixture on each bun and eat up!


This jackfruit was meaty, delicious and just may even fool your coworkers into thinking it's the Real Deal (at least it fooled some of mine!)


Looks convincing, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Jackfruit is surprisingly good as a meat substitute considering it's totally unprocessed, which even tofu cannot claim. The only problem is that its nutrition does not mimic meat whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete