Thursday, September 6, 2018

Jackfruit Adovada

You're almost caught up! After this post there's only 1 left to write! Woohoo! This one is again about this season's ingredient du jour - JACKFRUIT!


Obviously since you know me by now, you know I'm New Mexican. I hope you've also taken the initiative to study everything about my home state and are fully aware of the State Question: Red or Green? Green chile is in everything from sweet to savory to beer and wine. Red chile is used a little more exclusively and one of the ways it's used is carne adovada. Carne adovada is pulled pork that's slow simmered in red chile sauce. It is succulent and soaks up all the great chile flavor - obviously I don't eat pork so I thought of the next best thing; you guessed it, jackfruit.


Jackfruit Adovada


That close-up though


2 C Red Chile Sauce
3 cans jackfruit in water, drained, cored and seeds removed, shredded
Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
Yellow rice, for serving
Tortillas, for serving


This recipe really couldn't be easier - after you've made your red chile sauce in a large Dutch oven or pot, add in your jackfruit, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.


Serve your jackfruit in a tortilla with rice and cheese (my traditional way of eating adovada) and enjoy!


The chile is smoky with a little kick and the texture is meaty and delicious. A perfect comfort food to make whenever a dis-placed Burquena like myself is feeling a little homesick.


Enjoy and stay tuned for the last post!

1 comment: