Sunday, March 1, 2015

Taco Tuesday (on a Sunday)

A food that will always hold a special place in my heart is tacos. As a child I ate a ton of homemade tacos; they're quick to make, comforting, filling and not to mention really delicious. 



Taco Bowls

1 pound ground beef
2 Tbs onion powder
2 Tbs garlic powder 
2 Tbs chile powder 
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1/2 cup water
1 bag of yellow rice (follow the directions on the package) 
1 can refried black beans (follow the directions on the can) 
1 bag tortilla chips (for garnish) 
Cheddar cheese, shredded (for garnish) 
Guacamole (for garnish, recipe to follow)
1 ripe Roma tomato, diced (for garnish)

Brown one pound of ground beef in a skillet until cooked through, drain off fat. Add the water to the pan and season the meat. 

Follow the directions on the packages for the yellow rice and the refried black beans. 

Homemade Guacamole 
2 avocados, diced 
1 Roma tomato, diced 
1/2 red onion, diced 
1 Tbs garlic powder 
Pinch of chile powder 
Salt and pepper 
2 Tbs lime juice 

Mash diced avocado and mix in other ingredients. 

Word to the wise, while pitting my second avocado my knife slipped and resulted in a deep gash in my thumb which required some very creative use of paper towels. 

To serve layer a handful of tortilla chips, two tablespoons of refried beans, a tablespoon of yellow rice, 2 tablespoons of ground beef, tablespoon of shredded cheese (I like cheddar), two tablespoons of guacamole and some diced tomatoes. 

I hope you enjoy my nostalgic taco post. Happy eating, readers! 

1 comment: