Saturday, April 18, 2015

Date Night

I'm one lucky lady! My husband surprised me with an adorable formal invitation to dinner yesterday - it was pretty cute, he messaged me on Facebook and "cordially invited me to dinner with a secret admirer," I'm sorry but is he the 'effing cutest or what?! 

He surprised me with dinner at Scalo Northern Italian Grill in Nob Hill, located at 3500 Central Avenue SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106. 

Scalo is located in the swanky Nob Hill district of Central Avenue (basically Central Avenue between Carlisle Blvd and Girard). The restaurant has a separate bar with $3.50 3 oz pours of wine Monday-Friday 4-7 pm and a Bloody Mary bar on Sunday mornings. The restaurant itself has 3 separate seating areas as well as an outdoor patio.  The drink list (boasting tons of wines as well as cocktails) is extensive and has anything for any taste and the food menu has appetizers, pizzas, pastas and grilled items in addition to daily specials. 

We were seated in the elevated seating area right by the window facing Central Avenue which was perfect for people watching! C'mon readers you know people watching is the best sport there is. 

We ordered a bottle of red wine (I honestly couldn't tell you which one but doesn't it just seem so fancy to order a whole bottle? I felt like Leo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wallstreet! Not the hookers and narcotics by the way...just the money...). To go with our delectable red wine, we ordered Piatta de Formaggi, a platter of cheeses and water crackers. Last night's selection was goat, sheep and cow's cheeses - fresh mozzarella with herbs (soft and flavorful), drunken goat (my personal favorite! It was a semi-hard cheese with a mild wine flavor and went perfectly with the soaked apricots on the platter), and some other cheese that I never determined...(that was was good but not terribly memorable). 

For dinner I ordered Spaghettini olioe Aglio con Gamberetti. It was beautifully sautéed shrimp, garlic, dried chili, sundried tomato, parsley, and peas in a white wine butter sauce. Nate ordered the pasta special which was sautéed chicken and salami in a spicy marinara sauce. 



For dessert we split a delicious and creamy vanilla gelato. 

Decor: excellent, the restaurant is minimally decorated with just a few tasteful pictures and neutral paint on the wall. 
Cleanliness: excellent, tables were turned over quickly, and our empty plates were taken away almost immediately after they were emptied! 
Food taste: excellent, absolutely everything was delicious, beautifully cooked and I wish I could go back in time and eat it again and again. 
Food appearance: excellent, obvious care is taken in terms of attention to detail. Seriously, just look at those pictures and tell me honestly you're not trying to eat your computer/phone screen. 
Service: excellent, our waitress was funny and animated as well as attentive. Our waters were never empty, our orders were right and food was brought in a timely manner. 

Total: 15/15 

Wow readers, I just gave out my first perfect score! This is a momentous occasion! But believe me Scalo earned this score. Everything they do exceeds expectations and they definitely deserve a visit from you. 

This post is dedicated to my wonderful husband. He never fails to amaze me and make me feel like the only woman in the world. I love you, Nathan, forever and always.  Thank you so much for a great date night, butt.

1 comment: