Saturday, April 4, 2015

Sushi Gen

One of my favorite foods to splurge on is sushi. It's delicious, it's surprisingly filling, but unfortunately can be pretty darned expensive. 

Due to the fact sushi can set a person back roughly $50 per trip, Nate and I have been planning a trip to our favorite sushi joint - Sushi Gen for about 3 or 4 months now and last night was the big night. 

Sushi Gen isn't much to look at on the outside, it's located in an empty strip mall at 5210 San Mateo Blvd, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87109. The first time I ever went here (about 6 years ago) it kinda made me think I was going to a front for some kind of Mafia. However regardless of all that sketchiness, Sushi Gen is still my favorite place to get delectable raw fish and rice concoctions. 

Decor: good, like I said the outside looks horrible and pretty shady but the inside is actually pretty nice; there is a live fish tank, decorative dividers, and a fountain.
 
Food appearance: excellent, the sushi is served to you in a boat and cut cleanly and served with a side of pickled ginger and wasabi. 
Food taste: excellent, I absolutely love the way their sushi tastes! They have sushi rolls, sashimi, miso soup, fried rice and some other entrees. Everything is super fresh and honestly if I had the money I'd eat here every single day for the remaining 4 months I'm in Burque. 
Cleanliness: poor, unfortunately the bathrooms were a little too big for me to ignore. The bathrooms consist of one stall in which the laminate tile is bubbling and the wall paper is peeling from what was probably water damage. Even more strange (and possibly disturbing) is the non-functioning toilet outside the stall, yes, I mean out on the open in front of God and everyone else. However, they're not technically unclean just...unsightly. 
Service: excellent, you are greeted by the hostess and the sushi-makers (is there a technical term?), sushi is continuously served as long as you want it, and your drinks are never empty. 

Total: 12/15

While Sushi Gen is not much to look at and their bathrooms leave much to be desired, the service is sublime, the sushi is all you-can-eat for $20.99 (which in the world of expensive raw fish is practically unheard of!), and the sushi tastes damn good. My advice to you, dear readers, is to venture to this spot (maybe go to the bathroom before you get there) and have some of the best all-you-can-stuff-in-your-facehole sushi you can get in the City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment