Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Green Smoothie and a Little Soul Bearing

I feel like at 22 I finally have begun to get a handle on my body issues but it hasn't always been that way. From a young age (perhaps 8 or 9) I viewed my body as disgusting and a disappointment. I became obsessed with being thin and this obsession, I'm ashamed to say, resulted in an eating disorder. 

I've been on a fitness journey for the last 2 years with the goal not to be "thin" but to be healthy and have found the best way to lose or maintain weight loss is the combination of exercise and healthy diet. Well, I already run around 20 miles a week so now I'm trying to revamp my diet by jumping on the "green smoothie" craze. 


Green Smoothie

1 1/2 C fresh spinach, packed 
1/2 C milk (I used 2% since it was open but prefer skim) 
1/2 banana, sliced
2 tbsp black chia seeds 
1/2 C frozen fruit 
1/4 C water 
1 tbsp wildflower honey

Put everything in a blender and let 'er rip! If the smoothie is too thick add a little water (to save yourself from extra calories). Drinking spinach in a smoothie may make you a little...well...apprehensive! But fear not! The flavors of the fruit overpower the spinach flavor, just make sure that the spinach is blended throughly so you're not chomping on spinach.

The nutritional info for this smoothie (2% milk and skim milk) are below: 

Green Smoothie (2% milk) 
277 calories 
5.5 g fat 
7.3 g fiber
46.6 g carbs 
170.8 mg sodium 
12.2 g protein 

Green Smoothie (skim milk) 
213 calories
3 g fat 
7.3 g fiber 
40.5 g carbs 
107.5 mg sodium 
8.1 g protein

The best part about green smoothies is you can put pretty much anything in them. Fit Magazine offers a recipe for building your smoothie:

Liquid base (they suggest milk or flavored water) 

Lean proteins like plain nonfat yogurt, silken tofu or unflavored protein powder

And healthy fats like avocado, seeds or nuts high-fiber carbs like raspberries, blueberries, spinach and cucumbers,

If you'd like to read the article yourself  here's the link: 

www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/drink/smoothie/diet-smoothie-recipes/

No comments:

Post a Comment