Monday, August 24, 2015

Mitch's Tavern

We arrived in our new city on Monday night (last week) and after 27 hours of driving with cats (I definitely don't recommend it) and an hour and a half of wading through the moving boxes in our new apartment I was craving a beer, air conditioning, and food. Luckily, Mich's Tavern has all three! And according to a certain nuclear engineering student I know, is also "the place" to go if you're a Nuke-E. 

Mitch's Tavern is located at 2426 Hillsborough St, Raleigh, NC 27607, conveniently across the street from North Carolina State University. They have local beers on tap, but my personal favorite cheap beer, Yuengling, was on special for $2.75/pint and how could I possibly pass up that deal?! 

Decor: good, Mitch's Tavern is decorated like most pubs. Dark wood tables and booths, low lighting, beer steins and signs on the walls. Very run-of-the-mill. 
Food appearance: good, you can tell there is a degree of attention to detail rather than food being plopped onto the plate. I thought it was a nice touch the food being served on silver platters. 
Food taste: good, we started with the pretzels with mustard which, when ordered, gave me visions of doughy soft pretzels with housemade mustard. However, that is not what we got. We were instead given a basket of regular pretzels from a bag and some spicy brown mustard cups. For obvious reasons, I became skeptical of this bar's culinary ability. When it came time for me to sample my pulled pork sandwich and slaw I was pleasantly surprised. The pork was a little lacking in flavor but once I poured on the deliciously vinegar-y Carolina BBQ sauce all mishaps were forgiven. The slaw, however, was a different story. The slaw was sweet, far too creamy and I did not care for it one bit. Nate ordered the gumbo which was divine. I would go back for the gumbo alone, as well as the affordability. 
Service: good, it was a rather busy Monday night yet our server regularly checked on us and refilled our drinks quickly. 
Cleanliness: good, restaurant was clean. 
 
Total: 10/15 

All-in-all, Mitch's Tavern is your typical college bar. A place to meet up with friends and have an affordable meal and a place to meet new people and have some local brews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment