Monday, August 24, 2015

Ole Time Barbecue

I love Carolina barbecue! I have never cared much for the slathered sauces of Texas or the rubs of Memphis but boy do I love the vinegar soaked pulled pork of North Carolina! 

Nate read about a barbecue joint that was very highly rated so we decided to check it out and I can honestly say, readers that this is one of the best places I've had pulled pork in my entire life!! 

Ole Time Barbecue, located at 6309 Hillsborough St, Raleigh, NC 27606, may be next to a trailer park but the barbecue waiting inside for you is worth it! 

Decor: good, walking into the small restaurant is almost like walking into grandma's house. Kitschy wooden signs cover the walls ("kiss the cook", etc.) as well as pictures of the employees and owner's family. We decided to sit at their bar (the stools even had plaques for frequent regulars) and we could watch everything going on in the kitchen adjacent. 
Food appearance: good, who doesn't love the sight of fried chicken and barbecue on a plate? However, not much finesse is added but who really needs it? 

Food taste: excellent. After being seated and given our drinks, we were served a basket of hush puppies which were then doused with a generous portion of Ole Time's signature hot sauce. It was the vinegar-based sauce I absolutely adore with extra spice, it was absolutely delicious and available for purchase. I after looking through their rather large menu, I decided on the pork sandwich combo (sandwich, side and a drink) with my side being fried okra. The pork was tender and flavorful (even before I added the hot sauce) and the okra was in a light cornmeal breaking and fried to a perfect golden brown. Nate decided to get the pulled pork with collard greens and macaroni and cheese. I admit I do not care for collard greens so I did not try those but the macaroni was creamy, buttery and fantastic. 
Service: excellent! Our waitress was very friendly and welcomed us as if we were old friends. 
Cleanliness: good, the restaurant was clean and orderly. 

Total: 12/15 

If you like good food, fast service and friendly atmospheres then go to Ole Time Barbecue! You will not leave hungry or disappointed. 

1 comment:

  1. What? Why didn't we get the fried okra????? Nate, are you holding out on me???

    ReplyDelete