Thursday, June 11, 2020

Ras Rody's Jamaican Vegan

I think we can all agree, some of the best spots are the ones you come upon accidentally. Nate stumbled upon Ras Rody's Jamaican Vegan food truck while researching a walking route and let me tell you, this small black truck is pumping out some of the most flavorful vegan food I've eaten!
Ras Rody's Jamaican Vegan
Location: 1312 Agua Fria St, Santa Fe, NM 87501

Thankfully Nate made his discovery prior to lunchtime so we decided to go on a walk with a stop for food yesterday afternoon. Following the unmistakable scent of curry, we stumbled upon a parking lot and a black trailer flying a Jamaican flag - that's when we knew we were in the right place!

The menu seems to rotate daily and always features fresh produce and homemade ingredients! Yesterday's selections were a combo plate featuring "Jamaican Veggie Protein", curried chickpeas, black bean stew, steamed mixed vegetables, brown rice and banana pancakes; a selection of fresh juices and smoothies and lentil soup. 

Since we had both had a morning snack not too long prior to leaving the house, we opted to split the combo plate and each got a Carrot-Pina (Pineapple) juice. The flavors packed into this combo plate were incredible! The "Jamaican Veggie Protein" was a spicy and warming spiced tofu topped with a warmed cabbage, carrot and celery slaw. The Black Bean Stew wasn't as much a stew as it was a side of spicy black beans and the banana pancakes were cornmeal based and perfect for sopping up excess leftover liquid and using with the delightfully spicy green sauce that accompanies each combo plate. The sauce was HOT (and I'm speaking as someone who eats chile and peppers with nearly every meal) but it was balanced with vinegar and somehow tamed down when poured over the other dish ingredients. I would buy this in a bottle if it was offered!

Despite Nate and I splitting, neither of us left hungry. I don't know if at my hungriest I could even eat a whole combo by myself, making it well worth the $12 price tag.

Combo Plate from June 10, 2020
I don't mean to hate on vegan food because I know not all of it is bad, but I think we've all had an experience of forcing down flavorless, dry, and poorly textured vegan food; do not let this stop you from giving this place a fair chance! This food is anything but bland.

The juice was so fresh and flavorful! The carrot was refreshing, the pineapple added a touch of sweetness and there was a wonderful ginger flavor present that just made me feel like the epitome of health.

The two employees in the truck were extremely friendly, warm and welcoming to us. They chatted with us while we were choosing our meals and promised us we would love the food, which we absolutely did.

I am eagerly awaiting the next opportunity Nate and I have to take another lunchtime walk to enjoy the next combo plate offered at Ras Rody's Jamaican Vegan food truck! Only thing that would make this place better would be a few picnic tables to eat at.

No comments:

Post a Comment