Saturday, June 6, 2020

Soft Pretzels with Green Chile Queso

Yesterday Nate and I went on a 12 mile hike at the Santa Fe Ski Area, now before I go on I have to come clean about something - I strongly dislike hiking. I like working out but I hate bugs and dirt but there are two reasons I go on a weekly basis: 1) I love my husband very, very much and 2) I like being able to eat whatever I want to afterwards. A 12 miler burns around 1200 calories for me meaning I get basically 2 days' worth of calories to exploit for the rest of the day!

Now, why am I telling you this? After our hike yesterday we went to Second Street Brewery's Rufina Taproom for lunch where we ate ALL. THE. THINGS. Jalapeno Poppers, Green Chile Cheeseburgers, DRAFT BEERS. It was a magical time. Anyway, an unassuming appetizer on the menu inspired me to make today's lunch - Soft Pretzels with Green Chile Queso.

Soft Pretzels

Soft Pretzels with Green Chile Queso and a cameo by Old Pecos Foods Red Chile Mustard
1 1/2 C Warm Water (112 degrees F)
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tsp Salt
1 Package Active Dry Yeast
22 oz AP Flour, plus more for dusting
2 oz Salted Butter, melted
2 Tbsp Canola Oil, for bowl
10 C Water
2/3 C Baking Soda
1 Large Egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
Kosher/Pretzel Salt

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine water, sugar and salt. Sprinkle on yeast and allow to sit and bloom for 5 minutes or until foamy.

Measure out 22 oz (about 4 1/2 C) of all-purpose flour and add to the bowl. Slowly start the mixer and pour in the melted butter. Gradually speed the mixer up to fully incorporate. If the dough looks too sticky add in more flour 1/4 C at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and can be formed into a ball.

Coat a clean bowl with 2 Tbsp of canola oil. Place dough ball in bowl and cover. Store in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.

After the dough has doubled, flour a work surface with 2 Tbsp flour. Cut the dough ball into 8-9 roughly equal pieces using a knife or dough scraper. Roll each piece into a foot-long "snake" (remember the skills you used to have in kindergarten with your Play-Doh). Make a U with the snake, holding each end of the dough, cross the ends over each other and press until the bottom of the U to form a pretzel-shape. Repeat with all the dough.

In a large pot, heat 10 C of water and 2/3 C baking soda until boiling. Gently place the prepared pretzels in the boiling water for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Repeat until all pretzels have been dunked. This step may sound weird but it helps the pretzel to keep it's shape while baking and also forms the crust.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. After your pretzels have been dunked, brush with egg and water mixture and sprinkle on pretzel salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown on top.

These pretzels have a crunchy exterior, chewy interior and taste great with everything from mustard to an ice cold beer to...DID SOMEONE SAY QUESO?!

Green Chile Queso 

Real talk: I didn't make the queso, Nate did. Therefore, I invite my darling almost-anniversary husband to share his recipe in the comments! I can attest that it was thick, creamy, spicy and damn delicious! Was the perfect pairing for my homemade pretzels. 

Tomorrow Nate and I are celebrating our 6 year anniversary, I can't believe we've been married so long - honestly it feels like just yesterday we were saying our vows in front of our friends and family. He's taking me to dinner at a surprise location so stay tuned for a restaurant review! In the meantime, enjoy these throwback pics of baby Nate and I!

June 7, 2014 - Our Wedding Day
August 17, 2019 - Our Surprise Vow Renewal Ceremony

2 comments:

  1. To make cheese sauce, make a roux (1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp flour whisked together over gentle heat until lightly brown) and add a little bit of milk just so the cheese has something to liquefy with. I also add black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco to taste, but you can add anything you want (green Chile). Add your cheese gradually so it melts at least halfway before you add more. When your cheese is melted, you’ll have a thick cheese mass that is not very conducive to dipping, so this is where you add beer of your choice to get it to your consistency. The type of beer doesn’t matter too much, but don’t pick one that will taste weird with the cheese. Something like Sam Adams Boston Lager is ideal for the hop bitterness and malt flavor without being citrusy. Congrats, you have made queso de cerveza!

    ReplyDelete