Thursday, June 18, 2020

Summer Pasta

Good morning readers! If you read my last post you saw that I had some exciting opportunities coming up and I'm beyond ecstatic to report I have my dream job! I was given the chance to audition for a cycling instructor position at a gym opening up here and I got it! I cannot wait to get started once the gym opens up and the governor gives us the ok for group fitness classes. In addition to the cycling instructor position, I am also going to start working (today) at a nearby brewery! I am so excited to begin the first day of the rest of my life!

Anyway, enough about my exciting news, onto the recipe! I think we can all agree that one of the best things about summer is all the beautiful produce, well and (during normal circumstances) the pools, beaches and fun. One of my favorite summertime vegetables is squash - I don't know why but something about that bright yellow gourd just reminds me of sunshine and summer. And it inspired me to make this light and fresh pasta dish for dinner earlier this week.

Summer Pasta

Summer Pasta
1 lb Penne Pasta, cooked according to package instruction
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Medium Squash, cut into half moons
1 Medium Zucchini, cut into half moons
1 Pt Cherry Tomatoes, halved
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tsp Lemon Zest
3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1/3 C Fresh Basil, chiffonade cut
1/2 C Parmesan Cheese, finely grated

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt liberally, remember when making pasta you want the water to taste "like the sea" so don't be shy. Cook penne according to package instruction. Save 1/2 C of pasta water for the sauce. Drain pasta and set aside.

Bring olive oil to a simmer in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add squash and zucchini and allow to brown slightly. This will take about 5-7 minutes. After the squash and zucchini is golden'd, add tomatoes to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Allow the vegetables to simmer in their juices for 5 minutes.

Lower the heat slightly and add in butter, garlic and lemon zest. Allow the butter to melt and stir to coat the veggies. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.

Return pasta pot to medium heat. Add the sauce to the pasta pot (believe me, this is easier than trying to do it the other way). After combining the sauce with the pasta, pour in the pasta water and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan. Serve immediately.

The pasta is fresh and light and summery and delicious! Basil and lemon are a winning combination, let me tell you. They are the epitome of summertime and this dish as a whole is so jam-packed with vegetables it doesn't leave you feeling heavy and sluggish - perfect for bikini season!

Can't wait to detail my first day at the brewery and bring you another delectable recipe (Thai Coconut Curry Soup to be exact!)

No comments:

Post a Comment