Monday, January 19, 2015

Bea's 2 New Mexican Resturant

I love going to visit old haunts from my childhood; like Bea's 2 for instance. I remember coming here as a child before spending a day at the New Mexico State Fair. 

Bea's 2 (there was once an original "Bea's" that closed when I was about 6) is located at 8603 Zuni SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108. 

This place is just good old comfort food in a greasy spoon atmosphere. There are no frills, no fuss, just honestly good New Mexican for reasonable prices.

The space is quite large (roughly 100 seats) and includes a private banquet room. 

I walked in and was told to seat myself (it is 10:30 on a Monday after all...seating may be different when there's a packed house). I chose one of the booths by the window so Nate (who will be arriving later) could easily spot me...not that that would be particularly hard at the moment seeing as I'm one of only 15 other diners and the only person sitting alone. 

The menu has American breakfast classics such as omelettes and pancakes as well as New Mexican favorites such as carne adovada (tender cuts of pork simmered in red chile sauce) and chili rellenos (green chile pods stuffed with cheddar cheese, battered, fried and smothered with red or green). Additionally, they have daily breakfast and lunch specials. 



Decor: good, the restaurant is decorated in the traditional "New Mexican" way. There are hanging plants, chile ristras (clusters of hanging red chiles used for decorative purposes), a sombrero room, and a piƱata that I'm fairly confident has been here since my youth. 
Food taste: excellent, we received a basket of chips and salsa which was perfectly spicy. For an entree, I ordered the chile relleno with green and it may have been the best chile relleno I've had! The batter was light and fluffy, and fried to a perfect golden brown, and chile pod was spicy and flavorful. 
Food appearance: good, nothing too fancy. 
Cleanliness: good, tables and chairs are all clean, booths in good condition (no holes or tears), carpet and banquet-style chairs are a tad outdated but clean and scuff-free. 
Service: excellent, the wait staff was attentive (even when I was sitting there for 30 minutes) having ordered nothing but coffee and water. 

Total: 12/15


No comments:

Post a Comment