Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tortellini with Champagne Cream Sauce

Hello readers! Long time, no blog! Unfortunately I haven't done much "true" cooking since New Years (been trying to adjust to my 8-5 schedule and fitting in workouts, binge-reading the complete Harry Potter series and sleep). However, last night for dinner I made five cheese tortellini (courtesy of Costco Wholesale), baked chicken breasts and covered it all with a velvety-smooth champagne cream sauce. 

Now, I didn't make the chicken breast so I can only guess how my husband made it, therefore I will only give the recipe for the cream sauce. 

Champagne Cream Sauce 
3 Tbs olive oil or butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced 
1 C dry champagne 
1/2 cup Italian cheese, shredded
3 Tbs heavy whipping cream 
2 Tbs champagne mustard 
2 Tbs all-purpose flour (or Wondra flour)
Zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbs herbs de Provence
1 Tbs oregano 
Salt and pepper to taste 

In a medium size sauce pan sauté minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat until the garlic becomes fragrant. 

Add in champagne, be careful it will bubble profusely. Let the mixture reduce for about 5 minutes over high heat. 

Once the mixture has slightly thickened, whisk in the shredded cheese (I used an Italian cheese blend from the grocery store), next add in the whipping cream, mustard and flour. The mustard may sound strange but trust me, it gives the sauce a wonderful tang that it needs. The flour is added purely for thickening, if you want a thicker sauce add more. Add in the spices and lemon zest right before blanketing the pasta (or chicken, heck it'd probably even taste good on a flip flop). 

Hope you enjoy the sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment