Sunday, January 4, 2015

Pizza Castle

Pizza is the best food…EVER. I mean think about it for a second readers, pizza has every food group you need for a balanced diet (assuming you order it correctly); you got your grain from the dough, dairy from the cheese, fruits and vegetables from the toppings and sauce and your fat from the well…fat. Now, I'm not advocating eating pizza to be healthy, although I secretly wish eating pizza would make you skinny but I'm just giving you something to think about. 

I have not been to Pizza Castle located at 1309 Eubank Blvd NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112 since I was 12 years old and taking piano lessons on Friday nights; after telling Nate (basically anytime we would pass its storefront) about how fantastic their pizza was last night he finally consented to letting us order pizza from there! 

The store itself looked exactly the same as it had…god 10 years ago; the doors open up into the restaurant in front of the order window. On either side of the order window are about 8 tables, 2 flat screen TVs in either corner (last night they were tuned to the Cardinals/Panthers game) and a few arcade games are also in the restaurant. The entire establishment is bathed in the delicious aroma of baking pizza. 

The menu has pizza (of course), hot and cold sandwiches, salad and special deals like 2 slices of cheese with a 20 oz drink for $5.30 or a slice of one-topping pizza, a salad and a 20 oz drink for $5.25. Their prices are honestly insane! The beautiful pizza we ordered last night was only $21 including tip! 

We ordered the jumbo sausage and hot green chile pizza last night and oh man was it amazing! Perhaps it was just my nostalgia but this pizza was some of the best I've had. 




Now for using my cool new scale I developed:

Decor: poor. The restaurant has no decoration at all and the tables and booths are kind of old; however despite their age (as I said before it looks exactly the same as it did 10 years ago) they seem to all be in pretty good condition. 
Cleanliness: good. No tables had been left with plates or napkins left on them, nothing on the floors either. 
Food taste: excellent. The pizza was piping hot, crust had the perfect blend of crunch and tear, cheese was melty and delicious, sauce was incredible (I can't put my finger on it but the sauce truly does make the pizza) and the other toppings were high quality. 
Food appearance: good. I would love to give them "excellent" for this category but I must remind myself that it was only a pizza and all pizzas (assuming they're made correctly) tend to look the same. 
Service: excellent. Nate called to place our order and said the guy who took the order was very friendly; when we picked the pizza up we were greeted warmly and our pizza was given to us quickly. What they did which I thought was wonderful was they opened up the pizza box and showed it to us before we left to make sure it was to our liking. 

Total: 11/15 

Readers, if you're ever in Albuquerque and craving some honestly delicious New York style pizza, go to Pizza Castle. 

2 comments: