Sunday, January 4, 2015

Strawberry Balsamic Sorbet

Today I have a terrible sweet tooth…maybe it's from the 3 mile hike Nate and I took…or I'm watching the Blackhawks…or I just really want sugar…at any rate I'm wanting something sweet without undoing my whole day and then I remembered…I HAVE STRAWBERRY BALSAMIC SORBET!

So the ingredients for this amazing dessert are simple enough: fresh strawberries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar. Wait? Did I just say balsamic VINEGAR?! Believe it or not readers, the addition of the balsamic brings out the sweetness of the strawberries and you can't taste the vinegar in the sorbet once it's done.

2 pounds organic strawberries, washed, hulled, quartered
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Pre-freeze your pan. You could also use an ice cream maker but I do not own one so I put a metal loaf pan in the freezer overnight.
Combine all ingredients and then seal in mason jar (trust me you don't want to try to combine all the ingredients in the mason jar…it won't work) and refrigerate overnight (the longer you leave it in the fridge the more the strawberries will infuse).
When you're ready to make sorbet empty the mason jar into a blender or food processor (or if you're like me and don't like to pull that stuff out to clean just use an immersion bender) and puree the strawberries.
Pour pureed mixture into your pre-frozen pan (or ice cream maker) and freeze overnight with the sorbet covered with plastic wrap (or follow the directions on your ice cream maker).

I made myself a bowl of this sorbet and remembered I had a Hershey's Special Dark with Almonds bar (thanks, Mom!) in the pantry so I broke off a couple squares to eat with the sorbet and it was the perfect compliment! The sweetness of the strawberries were perfectly balanced with the bitterness of the chocolate mmmmm

Enjoy, readers!

1 comment: