Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fork & Fig

I have been looking forward to trying Fork & Fig located at 1234 S. Eat Ave, Albuquerque, New Mexico 88011 ever since I saw the sign go up on the side of the building in fall of last year. Today Nate and I went there for "brunch" and I must say my expectations were definitely not met.

The resturant itself is small with only 40 seats in the resturant and at 11:30 on a Sunday with the promise of a brunch we were the only patrons in the whole joint. When I say "with the promise of a brunch" I mean just that. I looked online at their menu earlier in the week and it said "brunch Sunday 11-3" so I thought "sweet! I love brunch!" Today I was not offered brunch. No brunch menu. No brunch. No eggs. No bacon. No anything even resembling brunch. 

Readers, we have come upon a groundbreaking moment: my first negative review. The chef at Fork & Fig worked as a personal chef in Phoenix and LA before opening this, his first resturant. It is possible that the mishaps you will soon read about are simply an over zealous young chef who bit off more than he can chew or that the staff is just getting into the groove of things. 

Decor: good, the resturant has the now trendy modern-industrial feel with lots of exposed fixtures, dark wood, high ceilings. 
Cleanliness: good, the resturant has only been open for a week now so everything is pretty pristine. 



Food appearance: poor, the food was pretty and presented alright, however the disposable cutlery, cups, plates, bowls, etc. really deterred from the pretty presentation. 
Food taste: poor. I ordered the chicken and tomato "Sammy" with the tomato soup and there were some fatal flaws - my chicken was grilled to a beautiful char, the brioche bun was soft and sweet but the tomato jam (which I was looking forward to the most, by the way) was bland and wasn't even portioned over the whole bun! The soup was spicy but it was served to me at the temperature of the earth's core so it was a little difficult to enjoy it fully. Nate ordered the salmon "Sammy" with the cherry tomato salad. He said the salmon was overly salted. He said the salad, which was cherry tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar was good though. We decided to try the panna cotta and frankly I have no idea what we were given but it sure as hell wasn't panna cotta. It wasn't sweet and it wasn't creamy but it was sort of redeemed by fresh berries. 
Service: good. After walking into an empty resturant with about 6 employees in clear view, we were greeted by only 1. She was friendly and attentive but I was left feeling kind of like an inconvenience walking into a resturant and being stared at by the chefs and wait staff without being acknowledged. 

Total: 8/15

I would perhaps be interested in revisiting  this establishment in a few months to see if they have worked out their kinks and growing pains but the fact is I probably won't. The food was alright but the menu of sandwiches, burgers, wraps and salads for a minimum of $10/plate and the fact that it is located in an area already teeming with delis and quick-service restaurants does not make it much of a destination. At least for myself, but I encourage you to try for yourselves and make your own judgment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment