Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Artichoke and Cheese Quiche

Have you ever had a day where you were just constantly in a state of "can't wait"? I can't wait to eat lunch, I can't wait to go running, I can't wait to take a shower, I can't wait for this agonizing sunburn to go away, etc. Yesterday that was me. So to get out some of my excess "can't wait" energy, I cracked open my What's Cooking Vegetarian  cookbook and found the perfect recipe: Artichoke and Cheese Quiche. 

If you've read any of my blog before, you know I love a good quiche. I love the flaky crust contrasted with delicious eggy filling. Plus quiche is so versitle, you can eat it for literally any meal! Breakfast? Sure. Brunch? Of course! Lunch? Uh huh. Dinner? Duh. Midnight snacks? Definitely! 

Artichoke and Cheese Quiche


1 1/4 C flour, sifted 
Punch of salt 
2 garlic cloves, crushed 
6 Tbsp cold butter, cut into 1 Tbsp portions 
3 Tbsp cold water 
1 red onion, sliced
1 can canned artichoke hearts, drained
1 C grated cheddar cheese 
1/2 C crumbled Gorgonzola cheese 
2 eggs, beaten 
1 Tbsp Rosemary 

Preheat oven to 400. 

Begin by preparing the pastry. Soft flour into a bowl and mix in salt. Cut in butter 2 Tbsp at a time and combine until cough resembles coarse crumbs. Add in water until dough can form a ball. 

On a floured surface, roll out dough until it can be stretched over an 8 inch tart pan, or in my case an 8 inch springform pan. Prick with fork. 

Now onto the filling! In a skillet over medium-high heat, sautĂ© red onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil for 3 minutes. Add in artichokes and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. 

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, cheese and rosemary. Stir in onion and artichoke mixture. 

Pour filling into the pastry and bake for 25 minutes or until quiche is completely set. 

This quiche was absolutely phenomenal! The pastry was perfectly flaky and the taste of garlic throughout was almost magical. I just may be adding crushed garlic to all of my pastry doughs from now on. The filling was slightly briny from the artichoke hearts, the Gorgonzola paired perfectly with the other flavors without being overpowering and the filling was perfectly set. I would definitely recommend trying this quiche out for a busy night meal. 

2 comments:

  1. Was also good cold as a quick lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was also good cold as a quick lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete