Monday, September 12, 2016

Cashew Paella

In the spirit of not letting my job get in the way of my life, this past weekend a good friend of mine (SHOUTOUT TO RANDI) and I went to the beach. The sand, the waves, the fish oh, and getting really ridiculously sunburned. My back looks as red as a fire truck and I have horrific pain. To get my mind off the white hot, searing, awful pain, I decided to make cashew paella. Now, I've never had actual paella, but this vegetarian alternative from What's Cooking Vegetatian by Jenny Stacey is pretty much amazing, actually Nate has eaten three helpings. 

Cashew Paella 

2 Tbsp olive oil 
2 Tbsp butter 
1 red onion, diced 
1 C risotto rice 
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground cumin  
1/2 tsp chili powder 
3 garlic cloves, crushed 
1 orange pepper, diced 
1 yellow pepper, diced 
1 green chile, seeded and sliced
2 3/4 oz baby corn, sliced lengthwise 
2 Tbsp pitted black olives 
1 large tomato, seeded and diced 
2 C vegetable stock 
3/4 C unsalted cashews 
1/4 C frozen peas 
2 Tbsp chopped parsley 
Pinch cayenne pepper 
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and melt the butter. SautĂ© onions until translucent. 

Stir in the rice, tumeric, cumin, chili powder, bell peppers, baby corn, olives, and tomato. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally. 

Pour in stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. 

Add the cashews and peas to the skillet and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Season to taste with salt and pepper, and sprinkle on cayenne and parsley. 

 
My stomach is full of paella, my eyes are watching Jane the Virgin and now I'm off to soak my poor lobster-colored, peely-skinned and chapped lipped body in an oatmeal bath with some white wine and a good book. Nothing like being forced to relax in a tub of oats

No comments:

Post a Comment