Sunday, September 25, 2016

Chile Relleno Casserole

Do you know what I love? Convenience and comfort. This weekend Nate and I went camping so that means today I'm sleepy and not wanting to go too far from the couch so I'm not very interested in cooking this evening. This is where my Crock-Pot comes in! It's convenient and therefore I can remain comfortable. 


Last Thanksgiving I bought myself a cookbook that is filled with recipes for just this occasion! Fix-It And Forget-It Vegetarian Cookbook "565 Delicious Slow-Cooker, Stove-Top, Oven and Salad Recipes, plus 50 Suggested Menus" by Phyllis Pellman Good. This book is filled with recipes that were submitted from people from all around, some seem better than others but thankfully there are several different variations on each recipe. 

I used this recipe as a guide but I think it would be good if it were followed to the letter as well. 

Have you readers ever eaten chile relleno? In New Mexican cuisine (which, of course you all know is my favorite comfort food), a chile relleno is a Hatch green chile pepper stuffed with cheese, battered and then deep fried. It is rich, comforting, slightly spicy and oh-so cheesy! This casserole has all those qualities as well! 

Chile Relleno Casserole 


Cooking spray 
6 eggs, lightly beaten 
1 C Monterey Jack cheese 
1 block plain cream cheese, cut into cubes 
20 buttery crackers, crushed 
1/2 C chopped and roasted green chile
1 Tsp onion powder  
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1 Tbsp butter

In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 the cheese, eggs, 1/2 the crackers, chile and spices. 

Pour into a greased 3 Quart Crock-Pot set to high. 

Cook on high for an hour and 15 minutes. If not completely set, cook for another 15 minutes. 

In a separate bowl, melt butter and combine with remaining cracker crumbs. 

Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cracker crumb topping. Cook for another 5 minutes. 

Now, this recipe originally called for cottage cheese, but I personally think that cottage cheese is disgusting and much prefer cream cheese but it's all personal preference. It also calls for 4 oz canned green chile, but fresh roasted is definitely superior. However, if you cannot obtain fresh roasted, use canned. Wow, I feel like I sound like Ina Garten, "if you don't have Madagascar vanilla beans hand picked by the Lemurs from the hit family film, Madagascar, store-bought's fine".

I also added the crunchy cracker topping. The recipe calls for all the crackers to be baked into the casserole but who doesn't love a great crunchy cracker topping? 

One of the variations says you can also bake the casserole in the oven if you don't have a Crock Pot. Pour contents into a 9X13 baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment