Monday, September 19, 2016

Sherried Tomato Soup

Well, it's an interesting Monday so far: 
1) Tropical Storm Julia is creating a deluge of rain and colder temperatures, which are graciously welcomed; 
2) I am fighting off a sinus infection/cold that are leaving me feeling like I have been punched in the nose; and, 
3) There is a gasoline shortage affecting North Carolina. 

Yeah, I definitely have "a case of the Mondays". 

After getting off work I went searching for gasoline and, thankfully, found some at the gas station nearest our apartment (yay!), went on a run and then came home to make Sherried Tomato Soup. 

Thank you, Ree Drummond for concocting what is probably the best (and most simple to make) tomato soup I've ever eaten in my life and thank you Mama Hart for buying me The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes From An Accidental Country Girl so I knew this recipe existed. 

Sherried Tomato Soup


1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 Tbsp butter 
2 14.5 oz cans tomatoes 
1 46 oz can or bottle of tomato juice 
3-6 Tbsp sugar 
1-2 Tbsp chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes 
Freshly ground black pepper 
1 C sherry (optional) 
1 1/2 C heavy cream 
1/4 C chopped flat leaf parsley 
1/4 C chopped basil 

In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter and cook onion until translucent. 

Dump in the diced tomatoes, or in my case, crushed tomatoes (they were cheaper and in a bigger can). Since I realized the diced tomatoes were supposed to be a textual component, I took two fresh tomatoes from the fridge and diced them. 

Add the tomato juice. 

The sugar is added to balance out the acidity. I only used 3 Tbsp of sugar because I'm not a huge fan of sweet tomato soup; but the amount is definitely up to personal preference. 

Add the chicken base or bouillon cubes. I used 3 vegetable bouillon cubes because that's what I had in my pantry. 

Now add lots of freshly ground black pepper, stir and then heat until almost boiling. Then kill the heat. 

Add in the sherry, stir to combine and return the heat to medium. 

Now add in the heavy cream and watch the soup turn a luscious and velvety red. 

Chop the fresh herbs and stir. At this point, stand over the pot and inhale deeply: this soup smells like an absolute delight! Tomato-y, rich, the slight and delightful sherry scent and fresh! 

The second best part about this soup, the first being the flavor, is that it took about 30 minutes from start to finish to make! 

I paired this magnificent soup with grilled cheese with green chile (told you I'm trying to eat away my homesickness). 

Please try this soup! It's fantastic! 

1 comment: