Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Chile, Not Chilly

Hi readers, so lately I've been letting a lot of things get in the way of my goals and priorities and had to really take a step back and reevaluate things. I've been so caught up in my job and stress resulting from that that I've been forgetting what's important to me. 

So Saturday I did something purely for me: cracked open a bunch of cookbooks and picked recipes. 

One recipe I picked was from a cookbook my Sissy bought me: Grandpa's Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs Cookbook by Judi Barrett. This adorable book is filled with fun recipes that I'm sure any child (or adult-sized child) would love cooking and eating. 

Chili, Not Chilly

2 Tbsp olive oil 
1 onion, chopped 
1 clove garlic, chopped fine 
1 red pepper, chopped 
3 Tbsp chopped roasted green chile (optional) 
2-3 Tbsp chili powder 
1 lb ground turkey 
28 oz can diced tomatoes 
Salt and pepper, to taste 
2 15 oz cans cannellini or black beans (I used great northern beans because they were on sale) 
Dollop of sour cream, for serving 
Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving

In a large pot, add olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and red pepper and 1 Tbsp of the chili powder. Cook over medium heat until the veggies are soft, about 7-9 minutes.

Add the turkey and break it up finely. Add the rest of the chili powder and sauté until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes. 

Add tomatoes with the liquid, salt and pepper, and the beans. 

Bring to a boil, then summer for 40-45 minutes, partially covered. 

Serve with corn bread and enjoy! 

Thanks to Hurricane Hermine, we here in Raleigh had rain and 73 degree temperatures. It was utterly fantastic and felt like fall! We invited over some friends for beers, chili, corn bread and horror movies and it made me feel back to my old self. I realized I need to do more things for me and let work take a back seat to everything else. 

1 comment:

  1. The chili was good. I also made corn bread that seemed to be well received, but the centerpiece was definitely the comforting chili.

    ReplyDelete